back to article Baidu sets up shop in Australia

China’s Google killer Baidu has set up shop in Australia as it moves on an aggressive international expansion drive. Baidu, a JV with China Search International, is China's biggest search engine with over 429 million users and is actively ramping up its global ambitions. The Sydney based office is being run by former Telstra …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steven Roper

The first searches

I do on baidu.com.au (when it comes online) will be "Tiananmen Square Massacre", "Falun Gong", and "Free Tibet". If the first page of results link to Tank Man or pages about freeing Tibet I'll definitely consider switching from Google. If the search gets blocked or redirected to Communist Party propaganda, then I won't be. That's my acid test for them.

The question is, will Baidu extend Chinese censorship and propaganda beyond their borders or not?

2. Winkypop Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

A Chinese search engine?

Sort of an anathema really.

3. Wombling_Free
    Black Helicopters

Austfailia the best place for it!

Our Glorious Leaders are completely in favor of the kind of censorship China uses - just look at Senator Luddite Conroy, with his expertise in the field of internet communications.

Our government would LOVE to have the kind of surveillance control China has - lets face it so would the UK & US governments, not to mention a few media outlets *cough* MURDOCH *cough*.

4. mhenriday
    Boffin

My guess is that Baidu, which presumably wants this operation

to be a success, will comply with Australian laws and mores. Whether these promote openess and freedom or corporate and government control is up to the residents of that country....

Henri

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like