Feeds

back to article Amazon Cloud Drive updates for Windows and Apple desktop

After a wave of cloud storage announcements, Amazon has updated its Cloud Drive system with a desktop access application for Windows and Apple systems. Amazon launched its Cloud Drive service a year ago, and it gives users a basic 5GB of storage for music in MP3 or AAC formats, as well as photos, documents, and videos that can …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

Cloud Player vs S3

"...Amazon doesn't seem quite clear on what it's doing with the product..."

They're not the only ones. I can't fathom why Amazon have completely separated Cloud Drive from their S3 offering. I've been a satisfied S3 user for years and, when Cloud Drive was announced, I presumed it was going to be a Dropbox-esque front end for S3, with a free 5GB to lure in the new punters —then pay for extra storage, as and when needed, as per the S3 model.

Instead it seems to be a completely separate entity, providing storage at Dropbox's relatively high costs, but with none of the one-click OS-integration that Dropbox offers to compenstate. Ironic, given that Dropbox is built on top of S3 in the first place. How can a 3rd party do it better and cheaper than the folks who own the infrastructure?

The Cloud Player aspect does look like it might be useful but, unfortunately it's still not available outside the US.

Meh

Re: Cloud Player vs S3

It does seem to be a S3 backend...the pricing model is just different.

Unhappy

Premature Epublication

Just tried it out - seems its only able to upload files - and nothing else.

A download option is there but is greyed out, something for the future perhaps.

For now its nothing more than a convenient up-loader, saving you the necessity of signing into the website via your browser.

FAIL

No cloud player. Close, but no cigar.

Without cloud player in the UK it's a bit useless. I was nearly upgrading my storage until I saw this. I like the idea of my own private Spotify type service.

mcm

Jungle Disk

There's third-party software offeringe everything you need for Amazon S3 - since years. I'm using Jungle Disk since 2007 happily. Trustworthy encryption, automatic backup, web interface, WebDAV, all there.

Actually I think they there kind of the first ones to offer this, I remember my research turned up nothing else back then.

Maybe Amazon just doesn't want to hurt their own customer base .

This topic is closed for new posts.