back to article RIM takes BlackBerry 10 out for a spin, forgets to bring phone

RIM's latest CEO has been showing off what its next OS, BlackBerry 10, will do, although without any hardware it's hard to be impressed by a touchscreen keyboard. The trinkets came out during the Thorsten Heins' first BlackBerry World keynote, where attendees were given glances of a multitasking interface that involves swiping …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Too little too late.

Sorry RIM but you lost me with months of dithering and promises that never came.

Bye.

2. Code Monkey
    Thumb Down

A whole Blackberry article without a single mention of RIM job? Much more of this and I'll be forced to cancel my subscription.

1. ItsNotMe
      Pint

"A whole Blackberry article without a single mention of RIM job?"

Not Friday yet. Maybe they'll re-run the piece then.

3. Andrew James

For me, RIM lost any chance of getting business from me when they had huge problems with BBM last year. Very little done to explain the problem. Just millions of people unable to use their phone as normal.

4. Nate Amsden

no playbook?

I would of thought given the playbook was based on QNX that it wouldn't be difficult to get the new OS up and running on it at least even w/o any phones

1. DAN*tastik
      Headmaster

@ Nate Amsden - Re: no playbook?

"Would of thought" => "Would have thought".

Thank you.

1. jai

Re: @ Nate Amsden - no playbook?

it's GREATER than or equal? Surely you meant to use: < ??

1. DAN*tastik

Re: @ Nate Amsden - no playbook?

Very good point.

Either the "<" you're suggesting, or, for those into archaeology, something along the lines of

[code]

10 would of thought

RUN

Syntax error at line 10

[/code]

maybe?

5. Jeebus

They rolled the dice and it has come up as Snake Eyes.

Toodles RIM, it was great knowing you, then annoying, then absolutely intolerable.

6. Peter Gordon

Wow... the playbook interface was a copy of webOS. Now they've copied even more from webOS, the sliding panes look just like enyo!

1. P. Lee

> Wow... the playbook interface was a copy of webOS. Now they've copied even more from webOS, the sliding panes look just like enyo!

Which is a good thing.

I think enyo has been ported to chrome so perhaps this is just a chrome browser :)

Actually, that may be a stunningly good plan (for BB) - sync to the cloud and have all your playbook stuff from wherever you have a chrome browser...

Or, develop for Playbook and deploy to any chrome browser.

... assuming llvm works...

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Not so much a blackberry as a bPhone.

And running BB OS X too.

8. thegreatsatan
    FAIL

RIM is dead. Long live RIM.

whats the point of a new OS when the last one they released doesn't have 90% of the apps people want to use?

9. Gordon 10

Alpha?

If this really is an alpha build RIM are fuscked.

Hopefully it's just a label. If its not in late beta/rtm After all this time RIM deserve to fail.

10. RonWheeler

Sod the apps

They'd be better off making quality bombproof featurephones with enterprise management and security, multi-day batterylife, good physical keypad, top-notch email/IM/social-media app preloaded and a competitive pricepoint..You know, a 'work' phone.

1. jai

Re: Sod the apps

I know that the IT Dept in companies would rather that all employees only use "work" phones for work purposes.

But all employees would probably rather use their own phone so they only have to carry around one. And all management want to use the latest and shiniest smartphone even if they don't understand how to use 90% of the functions that class the phone as a smartphone.

Yes, internal audit and legal departments would probably sleep easier at night if all employees were locked to basic 'work' phones.

But the accountants and the shareholders would rather that costs were kept to a minimum as so allow employees to bring their own devices.

And in these times of austerity and recession, I suspect it's the bean counters that have the loudest voice in the corporate boardrooms. Which means there's not going to be much of a market out there for a 'work' phone as you describe.

1. Sporkinum

Re: Sod the apps

I have a torch 9850 work phone. I had a 2 year old Bold that had issues with calls going through, so they replaced it with the Torch at no charge. Work doesn't care that the phones are used for personal use as long as it is not abused. They do block social networking though. That works well for me as I really don't need a toy to mess around with. That being said, the Torch is pretty nice. I have nothing to compare it to though.

We are switching to IPhones at work now. I need a different carrier than most employees due to coverage issues, but my carrier doesn't have the IPhone, so I will stay on the Blackberry until then.

My wife has a Blackberry 7130e prepaid. It cost her $20 to buy and she uses about $140/year in time. She has had it for 2 years. She could care less that it is a Blackberry, and when it dies, she will get what ever is cheap and works. She doesn't need online either. Just the ability to make calls.

Neither of us does Facebook or Twitter, so that kind of functionality is not needed. So after this useless dump of information, no company could care about us as users as we don't make them any money.

11. Senior Ugli

whats the point in RIM trying anymore. Just give up

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

why try?

nobody else makes work phones.

12. Confuciousmobil
    FAIL

[quote]whats the point in RIM trying anymore. Just give up[/quote]

By the looks of this, they already have.....

13. Mark Dowling
    FAIL

If you expected a production phone at the show

You're an idiot. Right or wrong, the fact that the phone was pre-production hardware was well-flagged. It's like the other idiots who somehow got the idea in their heads that this was the only BB 10 production unit and that means RIM were getting out of the keyboard business (if anyone at RIM ever thinks about it I will drive to Waterloo with the business end of a 2 x 4 along for the ride).

RIM are desperately behind the curve and I have massive misgivings about where things are going, but let's stop making up random reasons to hate-on.

14. Fredd Dagg
    Angel

Give me MDM

As an email and (forced against my will) MDM admin, I just wish they would take their BES suite and make a sandboxed client app that can be installed on all devices. Then I won't care if it's bring your own device day, bring the shiniest device day or ground hog day.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like