Feeds

back to article LG readies Dropbox, iCloud alternative

Samsung is expected to launch a cloud-based sync'n'store service for its smartphones soon, but arch-rival LG has got there ahead of it. LG's cleverly named 'LG Cloud' - you see what it did there? - mixes Android, Windows and smart TV apps to auto-sync handset contents to the cloud and the user's PC, Dropbox style. A neat touch …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

Again ...

WTF?!

Don't you lot have remote ("off campus") personal file servers? telnet's been around for nearly half a century, FTP for nearly a third of a century ... there are more secure options today. Why trust other people for remote data storage when you can park an old Pentium box of arbitrary capacity on your Great Aunt Ruth's DSL line in Duluth?

Honestly, my mind boggles ... I thought this was a tech site.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Again ..

Who are 'you lot'? (As you read the article a assume it includes you too!)

Personally I use a dial-up modem (more resilient) to connect to a remote ZX-spectrum 64K 'off-school' storage. Is that techie enough for you - as you obviously have confused 'old' with 'tech'.

And yes, FTP has been around for nearly a third of a century - which is a quarter of a century longer than you judging by the way you post comments.

FAIL

Re: Again ...

You really do need to get out (of your country / mother's basement) more often.

You do know what the "A" in "ADSL" means, right? My parents' ADSL connection is 8Mb down, and a whopping, er, 128 kilobits up. That's not much fecking use to me if I need to download some files from their network in a hurry; it'd be quicker for me to drive over there and copy it on-site.

(I have a business class connection that gives me 1Mb upload speeds. Still not brilliant, but cable isn't an option here. It took Telecom Italia until 2010 to roll out ADSL to the town I live in, so I'm not holding my breath for faster speeds over the next couple of years.)

Silver badge

Three points: (was: Re: Again ... )

1) You gets what you pays for.

2) The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

3) "Never underestimate the bandwidth capability of a station wagon full of mag tape." (Often attributed to Tanenbaum in 1996, but it was a common expression when I was at DEC long before that ... and I remember a similar comment from a student at Stanford in the early '80s when a professor expressed surprise at one of the vaxen already running the latest BSD build, released just a few hours before. Conversation went "How on earth did you get that code across the network that fast?" answer was "My motorcycle's latency might be sub-par, but it still has a much higher bandwidth capability than your network!".)

Anonymous Coward

DRM

Will this 'transcode' service strip DRM too?

Stop

"Me too!" (or, "Oh, not you too!")

Asus already installs this on some of its notebooks - don't know the name, it's probably Asus Cloud if I should hazard a guess.

Recently a pal of mine bought (on my recommendation) an UX31 - lovely device by the way. Had a jolly time of uninstalling a number of bloatware/trialware off it (occupational hazard of being a geek).

Anyway, this pristine device was having sporadic Explorer crashes. Turned out it was because of the "integrated" Asus Cloud (of Thunderous Farts fame). When it went away, so did the crashes.

Dropbox or Sugarsync is plenty fine. And they work. And their business depends on the service keep on working, so you can count on their diligence and industry. LG sells electronic devices, not software. So there.

This topic is closed for new posts.