back to article Commentards! Know a good hosting firm? Recommend a good laptop?

For a few months in 2008 Reg Hardware ran a Q&A column. The format was very simple: readers sought advice – and commentards were invited to supply answers. Typical questions ran along the lines of: Which top-of-the-line graphics card should I buy? and: How do I install fonts on my Linux Acer Aspire One? This experiment in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Kimsufi.co.uk

Kimsufi.co.uk for the hosting, they're a cheaper brand of OVH.

Silver badge
Joke

Why did I have a memory

of Multi-Coloured Swap Shop ?

Anonymous Coward

Re: Why did I have a memory

Please stop stealing my thoughts

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Please stop stealing my thoughts

... Maggie Philbin ...

Navigation

How do I get from those threads to the forum that they were posted in?

(Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Navigation

Need to do some UI joining up here. In the meantime - in the Forum Box ( on the right hand side when you are logged in) you should see "User Topics" - That gets you to list of forums.

Old lappie, long-in-the tooth?

My IBM TP30 must b the same. When stat it, (about 10 presses on the start buttom before it kicks in) I get 'fan error, and it shuts down. do it again, 3 more times, and it works (note to self: try sticking a vacuum cleaner on the vent, see if it's just acccumulated dust.

Linux 10,04, works a treat.

Hhosting? Siteground works, as does sitelutions.

HTH

Silver badge

Chop and change

Fitting an SSD as standard is far beyond the ability of too many manufacturers. If you want to keep a reasonably wide selection, expect to buy your SSD separately. Add a USB enclosure for the surplus spinning disk and you have a backup device.

Can anyone think of use use for the surplus glossy LCD panel I end up with after fitting a matte one I can read in an office?

This post has been deleted by its author

Happy

Re: Uses for a chopped shiny LCD

Try building it into a case to hold a raspberry pi.

Coat

Re: Chop and change

Ah yes, it will be perfect for smoothly rolling printing ink on your brayer & then rolling the ink onto your woodblock - if you are into block printing.

It's what comes to mind, sorry. You won't be able to call it a computerized image - however it is truly a 'digital' art.

Coat

Well that's nice

Instead of waiting for the Reg hacks to bother about researching VPN services (as requested by others and me in comments several times) I could just ask the commentards for their suggestions...

Well I guess we're all journos now then.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Well that's nice

fyi, i'd be interested in recommendations for a VPN service too!

Big Brother

Re: Well that's nice

I was going to post the question but then got stuck on the asinine categories listed... Where the hell does the question go?

Picked "Rest" -> "Broadband & Hosting", a restful topic indeed...

Here's the link:

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2012/04/27/AC20_VPN_Service_Recommendations/

E 2

Good lord!

Now the editors of the rag are trolling too!

Anonymous Coward

Formatting needs attention

Is it any wonder nobody is using the forums when the text is light grey on a slightly lighter grey background? I value my eyesight TVM.

Silver badge

For hosting

I use and recommend SrsVPS (srsvps.com), they're cheap, reliable and hosted in Romania so it's beyond the reach of the copyright mafia (not so much for piracy, but losing your data a la Megaupload comes to mind.) I've been using them as my personal cloud storage for the last 3 months and haven't had a problem yet.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums