Feeds

back to article Intel to use Cray IP to score boffo DARPA dosh

In a bold and unexpected move, Intel bought out rights to Cray’s networking and interconnect technology a couple of days ago for $140 million in cold, hard cash. Like our pal TPM said in his comprehensive story, it was quite a surprise to HPC industry watchers. I hadn’t heard speculation about Cray looking to sell any assets. In …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

That sorta makes sense.

I was thinking cray might already have another interconnect lined up and doesn't strictly need this any longer, but maybe not, maybe the deal's more like a share type deal. Though if so, were I cray, I'd've preferred to get some royalties or other kickbacks should intel haul in the big grant money.

On another level, it sort-of stings that such a bloody big company still rakes in the grants; I'd say it'd be more interesting to feed small fry as it's more likely to come up with something truly new. Then again, that's the united states of tax breaks for big companies for you. Something ultimately for that founding father-envisioned better educated American[tm] voter to sort out.

Anonymous Coward

Considering Intel's history...

...this is a surprise.

Intel has been convicted so many times for violation of anti-trust laws in many countries and of tax evasion numerous times in the U.S. I'm not so sure they deserve tax payer money via research grants?

This topic is closed for new posts.