back to article LinkedIn edges closer to China with new Hong Kong gaff

Business social networking site LinkedIn took another step towards expansion in China this week with the opening of an office in neighbouring Hong Kong, its ninth in an Asia Pacific region which is home to more than 25 million of its members. This follows office openings in Singapore and Japan last year and the launch of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. frank ly

SpammedIn

I joined LinkedIn a few months ago. It sold itself as an upmarket kind of place for professional people so I thought I'd give it a go. I didn't register myself with any special interests, just gave the minimum needed.

Almost immediately, my e-mail inbox was hit by spam from people who wanted me to read about their research and attend their conferences; and one man who wanted me tell me about his sponsored charity walk. I've told the spam filter to mark all LinkedIn mail as spam.

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge
      Happy

Re: SpammedIn

I've been on LinkedIn for a long time and it was once quite useful but recently I've started getting "invitations" for people that I've never heard of and don't know ... I've started to think of LinkedIn as a swingers party that the London Marathon is running through - not nearly as much fun as it was when it started.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

I was coerced into joining

My ex-boss told me to join since all employees of the firm were on the network.

Join I did, and set all parameters to the most privacy-respecting settings I could.

As a result, I did get a few interesting links, but I never got any spam from the site.

That said, I would gladly remove my profile, but now I am linked to a few people I have genuine respect for, so I can't bring myself to do so.

Yet.

3. coppice

The spam even if you don't join

I have never been to the linked-in site, but I get spammed daily by bogus invitations to join from people I have never heard of. This has been going on since the time linked-in started. Why would anyone who considers themselves professional want to join such a cowboy outfit?

4. James Gosling

Not Had Any Problems

I use Linkedln, have done for years, and I haven't had any problems with it. It is a business networking site and increasingly I find it is the place to find out about new contract work. How someone can claim its run by cowboys when they have never used it I do not know!

5. coppice

What does it take for you to rate a company as a cowboy outfit?

I get about 50 bogus spam e-mails a week from linked in. Its a pity some legal action isn't taken against them. They are no better than any of the other spammers clogging up e-mail systems.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like