Feeds

back to article Google Drive stalls on LAUNCH DAY

For this Mac user, Google Drive is just spin. Despite the fact that Google has made the announcement, it seems that the cloudy storage service is still being rolled out. The Google blog may say: "You can install Drive on your Mac or PC", but many of us cannot. It's too bad as I was looking forward to trying it. Point your …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Mushroom

Windows

As a Windows user, got mine yesterday.

Re: Windows

Me too. It was activated some minutes after I selected "Notify me when my drive is ready" option.

Anonymous Coward

Windows

As a windows user with his own domain, mine also says Google drive is not yet ready.

Its not ALWAYS about Mac users ;-)

Anonymous Coward

My dashboard for my domain on Google shows Drive as active.

You go to the Google Drive website and it says it isn't available yet.

Make up your mind Google!

I had this too, but there is a setting about rolling out new features immediately or not. When I changed it to roll out immediately, then Drive was available to use.

Where is this setting then? I think you're making it up.

Domain Settings => General => New User Features => Rapid Release

You're welcome.

Coat

"My dashboard for my domain on Google shows Drive as active.

You go to the Google Drive website and it says it isn't available yet."

Obviously they are buying their drives from Quantum....

Anonymous Coward

Short wait here...

I'm a Mac user, I signed up yesterday evening and was told it wasn't ready yet but I had an email with me in around an hour informing me everything was good to go and provided a link to download the app. Try being a bit more patient before ranting please...

Re: Short wait here...

Well, I've been waiting 24 hours. So your experience means fuck-all to me. Just sayin'.

Gimp

Re: Short wait here...

Just 24hrs? I'm still waiting...

Go

Works fine

Works fine for me. Got my account activated an hour after notifying them, and the downloaded Mac client installed perfectly. Very happy overall.

FAIL

Point?

Sorry, but can't see the point of Google doing this.

I have 25Gb free with my Hotmail account (which can be accessed from any PC also my phone)

I have 50Gb free from Box.net (which can be accessed from any PC and also my phone)

I have 3Gb free from DropBox (which can be accessed from any PC and also my phone, but more importantly, actually syncs over all my devices).

Because of the syncing, DropBox is the only one of these cloud storage services worth having. Unless Google are going to do something to make themselves stand out (and if they are, why not do it at launch) then this is just another Google "Meh" service.

WTF?

Re: Point?

Well, Google Drive has the syncing, and gives you 5GB instead of 3. So, by your metrics it's obviously the best, stand-out features or not. (And it does have some stand-out features, try reading the blog post...)

Anonymous Coward

As much as Google are all evil and not so loving, they do bring out some great products.

I've recently fallen in love with Google+ Hangouts.

Happy

We'd come and join you but you posted anonymously! You'll never drive up user numbers like that :D

Ok, I'm getting my coat

"Sorry, but can't see the point of Google doing this."

You can't ? Really ??.... or do you mean you can't see why Google bother because you personally already have 78GB of shared space ?

Thumb Up

I agree. Hangouts is an excellent service. The screen sharing an collaboration tools have a couple of niggles, but overall are top notch.

Anonymous Coward

They scan all that private data the muppets have readily handed over to them, then sell the ad data they've collected to the highest bidder.

Everyone wins! Google makes money and users get the joy of being buggered by the glorious advertising machine that makes the world go around!

Bronze badge
WTF?

Someone didn't take his medication, it seems...

Skydrive auto-sync app working fine here, and as you said, it's 25Gb.

I've used Dropbox before now, not a fan.

Silver badge
FAIL

Re: Sell the ad data

They don't, they sell ads. If they sold the data then they couldn't sell their analysis, which is the more valuable product.

Silver badge

Your hotmail account also syncs with all your devices (though you can also set one or more devices not to sync with the others). Google drive has a phone app too.

But the bigger point of Google Drive, which is unique AFAIK, is that web apps can use your gdrive to store data you create and edit on other websites. It's all sandboxed, naturally.

I guess Google already have a substantial user base and Drive neatly dovetails with their existing Docs service, allowing some types of files stored in Drive to be viewed/edited from within a browser. The sharing feature is pretty straightforward but I haven't yet tried the feature where you can hand ownership of some shared files to someone else.

Anonymous Coward

Microsoft just released a Win7 client for syncing your Hotmai Skydrive:

http://g.live.com/8seskydrive/windownload

Anonymous Coward

@ OP: At last! Thanks for saying what needed to be said! I just love the amount of replies to your post basically suggesting you be attached to the proverbial IT-ducking stool for pointing out the truth and the flaming obvious. I quite like Google, but jeez folks - get a grip, this isn't exactly new tech.

@JohnG: MS have had 25GB online storage for *free* for a while now, and this already ties in with *their* existing docs service AND people can share work, set permission levels etc etc Looking at the blog post... oh wow Google can do this too now... kewl... yet they want me to pay for anything over 5Gb? Maybe I will rush to sign up when I fill up my Skydrive or Dropbox accounts.... wow... neat...

*Gives Google a cookie* - "Yes dear, that blue Santa Claus on the fridge looks brilliant" - *resumes reading paper* :P

Gold badge
WTF?

Eh? You what?

There's been a SkyDrive sync client for Win 7 for donkey's years. It's the bloody XP one that's missing.

As tools for syncing data across multiple machines go, that puts SkyDrive firmly in the "chocolate teapot" category.

Just because you are on a Mac doesn't mean every problem is exclusive to a Mac.

I'm on a PC and get exactly the same message, "Your Google Drive is not ready yet"

Hey ho,

Peter

I suspect this is because OSX users are used to things not working properly for them due to their choice of operating system. If someone told me that it was normal for things to not work on their chosen OS, I would probably suggest they try a better OS.

jai
Silver badge

same here

I'm a Mac user, but currently using a PC at work. But i also get no option to access the GoogleDrive, just to request notification for when my drive is ready.

I guess they need some considerable amount of time to set up the 5gb of storage space?

Not a problem, I've no intention of using it, but seems it's far short of being ready for everyone at the moment.

Re: same here

True - it's like the author thinks he's being picked on because he has a mac. Maybe someone who's a member of a racial minority who can't access the drive will say Google are racist! :-)

I've been waiting for my e-mail to let me know it's available. I tried using it on my Android phone first and (as if it matters) am now using a PC.

Meh

not ready for me either

on Win7

Unhappy

Not that I'm going to use it...

...but mine isn't ready either.

mesh

not that i've tried many of the cloud offerings, but I find Windows Mesh to be the most useful.

So if these other cloud offerings do something similar, then I'm all for trying it.

Re: mesh

I haven't tried Mesh since Microsoft ditched their last online synchronised storage system, called... Mesh.

Admittedly, they did give a nice long warning, giving plenty of time to back it up, but I would have been happier if they could have just moved my data across rather than cancel the service then re-open it again with the same name.

Anonymous Coward

Nope

ISPs are reducing bandwidth and limiting gigabyte exchanges, so that right away is a big negative to using an online storrage service. In addition, Megaupload is still down and I am still waiting on my files there so, ummmm. NO!

What's the rush?

Why in the world would you (or anyone) be so interested in dumping 5 gigs of your personal data on a brand new and as of yet unproved service? I'm not even going to look at it for at least a month or so, because I have more important things to do than shaking out the bugs in a brand new system.

Thumb Up

Re: What's the rush?

An excellent point, Sir!

Paris Hilton

It is a tested service though as it just appears to be a rebranded Google Docs with extra storage.

Paris - as the main article comes across like a selfish celubtard "it's all about ME ME ME ME!"

Holmes

IT journalists tend to get paid to try out and write about new developments in IT. Hope that helps.

Thumb Up

Its hardly brand new technology - ive been storeing my stuff on the google docs "cloud" for ages.

In my view, its just a way for Google to make the non-technical people realise you can do exactly what people like myself have been doing with Google Docs for ages! same service, fancy new name....

Pint

You wouldn't put PERSONAL data online.

You'd put data there that you want world+dog to see, like scenic visas of the last time you visited Joshua Tree.

Your dick pics with the scenic vistas of Joshua Tree in the background stay on your own computer, for the FBI to look through, where they belong.

Go

I put in the request to be notified last night and was about two hours later. :)

Alas, it's like Drop Box and wants you to put your files in a specific folder, and doesn't appear to have the ability to upload automatically from my Android. Looks like I'll be sticking with Sugar Sync for now.

Pint

Testing

I've always found a bit of testing before release into production to be invaluable in mitigating disappointment.

I raise my pint in praise of testing.

Happy

74, DRIVE NOT READY, 00, 00

Sorry - couldn't resist!

FAIL

It's account based not computer based.

whether your drive is 'ready yet' depends on your account. not what computer you access it from.

if they planned to do a staggered start they should have said.

Silver badge
FAIL

As some others have said it's not that they hate you for being an Apple fanboi, they just hate you. But don't worry they hate me too.

Although I've not been able to access Drive from Windows I did upgrade my Docs app on Android which supposedly turned it into Drive. So far I can't see what's changed other than the name.

Meh

Underwhelming

Mine worked OK (on my own domain) until I uninstalled it!

I've got accounts at both Dropbox and SpiderOak. Dropbox gives me back history; SpiderOak lets *me* specify the folder names.

OK, so Google is "big" and "reliable", but they'll also need a few features.

FAIL

As a Mac user...

Aren't you used to getting short changed on everything? if not, you should be....

Working just fine on Windows here.

Anonymous Coward

Calm down

Mine works fine.

Unsurprisingly Google couldn't roll it out instantly to every single user. Turns out quite a few reporters didn't get theirs straight away and because of some misguided feeling of entitlement, they chose to rant about it. This is how the rest of us live.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.