Feeds

back to article Google farewells apps in spring clean

Mac users, it seems, haven’t embraced the ability to sync to Picasa to any great degree, with Google removing the platform from its Picasa service in its latest round of app spring cleaning. Picasa Web Albums for Mac and Picasa Web Albums Plugin for iPhoto have both been unplugged from the machine-that-goes-ping, along with a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Er...

...nothing in that announcement about withdrawing Picasa for Mac, unless I've missed it?

It's been withdrawn for Linux, and the Picasa Web Albums Uploader withdrawn, but nothing about the main app (not that its loss would be a great worry).

FAIL

Give it 6 years and they'll remove gmail for all but paying customers too. Mark my words, you heard it here first.

Silver badge
FAIL

idiot alert

What you fail to grasp, is that all the stuff being retired is being done because there are better alternatives.

In the case of Picasa, it's G+ photo storage, in the case of GTalk mobile, it's GTalk for Android and so forth.

Whilst the spin doctors may be pretending this is all useful stuff, it's not, it's all redundant...

Bronze badge

Re: idiot alert

Picasa for Linux has really been dead for years already: Only old version available, problems running on up-to-date distros. There also are as good or better native Linux applications for the same thing, so few people will miss it.

Re: idiot alert

As far as better alternatives go... on the Mac, i think you'll find it's called 'iPhoto' and comes with every Mac and integrates seamlessly.

Picasa for Mac *not* withdrawn

From the Google blog post: "we strongly encourage people to download Picasa 3.9 for Mac, which includes upload and iPhoto import features". This Reg article is below the usual high standard - needs editing (some missing words) and fact-checking.

Linux

Why not go Open Source

...and just give the code to the community? Then they could correctly crow about their commitment to Linux. You know, dance with who brung ya. They did create their business using Linux, otherwise they would have gone broke paying all the license fees for their server farm.

Bronze badge
FAIL

Re: Why not go Open Source

Because picasa for linux was just a windows app that was tweaked to behave under wine.... if you know that, you see that it is easy to try to upgrade to a more recent version ;)

Other than that, boooooo at google for not supporting linux...

JDX
Gold badge

Re: Why not go Open Source

That's your solution to everything!

FAIL

How can anybody now justify using Google APIs?

You put all your eggs in somebody else's basket, what do you expect?

I'm looking at moving all my calendar data off google to my NAS for synching - takes the data out of the belly of the beast...my email is already with a non gmail provider.

Other APIs? I'm not touching them with a bargepole - Microsoft did it with Silverlight, Adobe did it with Flash, Google do it to their APIs, best thing to do is avoid the lot - IT changes so quickly is it really worth getting up to speed with these things if they have THAT limited a lifespan? Better things to do with my time (like comment of the Reg).

Silver badge
Trollface

Re: How can anybody now justify using Google APIs?

Yeah, do you even know how HARD it is these days to find a computer that can read my backups on 5 1/4'' floppy disks? Without even talking about my punch cards...

Re: How can anybody now justify using Google APIs?

I can lend you a disk drive. But you'll have to source whatever software and OS you used yourself. Now PCK tape would be a bit trickier.

This topic is closed for new posts.