Feeds

back to article What kind of LOSER sits in front of a PC...

I have just wasted half a day at the London Book Fair, hoping to discover some new e-book readers with a view to reviewing them for El Reg. Expecting to wade waist-high through stacks of competitive continental European brands, I was disappointed to find that the exhibition's Digital Zone was dominated by companies offering to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Personally

Personally I find my Kindle to be a bit big and happy... I like reading off of my Nexus S the most. You get about 10 lines to a page.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Personally

Eventhough I have a kindle..... I have to say it is dinky and I like it.

But I have a lot, a huge number of books, books that when it is my turn to go up to that big library in the sky

I can leave them to friends and family, and what they don't want they can pass to a charity or sell.

And here is the flaw of the ebook, when you die your account dies with you, so instead of something tangible, the hundreds of pounds you have spent is worth zero in every respect. Zero books, zero money, zero enjoyment for someone else. Only the publisher and writer gain from this. Same thing can happen to your mp3 collection.

So in view of this I will stick with a paper version.

Bronze badge

Re: when you die

My ebook and music collectionss are DRM-free and not stored in the cloud. Problem solved.

Paris Hilton

ok..

You had me at "suck my cock"....

Serves me right for early-adopting with a Kindle... damnit, there's always something just that bit better around the corner. Or on its knees.... in this case.

Facepalm

I read A Princess of Mars on an iPod touch and found it entirely fun. Book and reading experience. At night with wife asleep beside me - no pesky sidelight on (or rubbish clip-on mini-lights). Most devices have their plus side. Even this article had the odd amusing sentence. Not many but a few.

Anonymous Coward

At least an optician will benefit.

Good Article

Good Article - Thanks.

I like the idea of an e-book reader for portability, but the 'What if your company goes tits up' problem along with not being able to lend books keeps me firmly in the 16th century.

Silver badge

Re: Good Article

Just as pertinent is to ask why on earth should I use your proprietary DRM to tie myself to particular devices when a DRM free copy is readily available? A follow up question would be to ask if it's ethical to buy the DRM'd copy but read the non-DRM'd copy to hedge against the almost certainty that some day no devices will exist which will read the DRM'd copy.

Silver badge

Re: Good Article

Possibly not allowed by copyright laws in different countries, but (at least in the US) Kindle users can lend books to other Kindle users, depending on whether the publisher has enabled the feature. Basically it copies the book and transfers the 'license' to read it to the recipient's Kindle for a couple weeks. The loaner's Kindle will refuse to open the book while it's on loan.

I know, the caveat about whether or not the publisher allows the feature is a little ridiculous, but at least the feature exists...

Anonymous Coward

Good article?

"What I was looking for at the London Book Fair was a competitor to Amazon Kindles."

There are plenty of good competitors to the Kindle. The Kobo, the Sony for example when you talk hardware, Kobo and Google Books when you want to talk content. EPUB format is WAY bigger than the locked in AMZ/Mobi format.

I love how this article talks about tablets being crap ereaders (which they are), but then goes straight on to praise the Kindle Fire.

Sounds like this was the usual drivel written by a Kindle owner that can't open his eyes to anything but Kindle.

Anonymous Coward

I'm reading

books on my 4.3" Android phone. It's perfect for the job and with me wherever I go. Something like that 5" Samsung you folks reviewed a few weeks ago would is a more versatile option than a dedicated eBook reader.

Re: I'm reading

I'm reading books mainly on a Kindle now (and confirming reports, I'm reading more books than before) but also really like the ability to pickup from the same point on the Kindle app on my phone. Best of both worlds!

Re: I'm reading

I agree that the function is great - I have a Kindle app on my ASUS Transfomer and Galaxy S2, as well as a Kindle. I like being able to pick up where I left off regardless of the device I'm using. Also have a generic e-book reader (Kogan Touch) and would like the same function on that...

While I appreciate the function, I'm not happy with the DRM'd approach and I buy only V. cheap books <$2 or get ones that are free or reduced to free.

I'd buy more e-books if the whole DRM rubbish was scrapped. I'd even consider paying more if i could on-sell, loan properly or give away my e-books. Until then, I'm selective in a way that reduces my assistance to an industry which wants to rort me while trying to gain some benefit for myself.

I am quite happy to pay people like Cory Doctorow (and Louis CK for his videos) as I know I'm not subsidising people who are trying to restrict my use of the things I buy from them. No DRM, no rip-off. Robert Llwellyn is someone else who when he has control over the product appears to want to make it more freely available (great show on youtube called carpooling).

Yes but....

I installed the kindle app on my HTC desire and have more than doubled the number of novels I get through.

Very readable even on the squintiest settings.

Happy

I do my ebook reading in bed on a tower pc conected to a projector showing a screen 7 feet across :)

nerdy enough?

Gold badge
Thumb Up

That's beyond conventional nerdyiness and qualifies you as a Geek God IMHO.

<tips hat in awe>

Gold badge
Happy

Top nerdery sir!

How did you get your bed onto a tower PC? I didn't think even servers were that big nowadays. Or is your 'Personal Prose Projection Pooter' in fact an old Cray II...

This gives me an idea for watching telly in bed, with it projected onto the ceiling, for the ultimate comfy TV position. The only downside being you choke on your popcorn, and drown when you try to drink... Perhaps a straw, and Wallis & Gromit style robot-feeding-arm is in order?

Silver badge
Linux

Re: Top nerdery sir!

Back when my bedroom was also my computer room, I hacked my Atari ST to have a separate keyboard with an extra long cable and used to compute from the comfort of the bed.

No projector though. Just a 19" TV.

These days any PC and standard wireless keyboard will do. No challenge in that at all.

Go

from Geek God community correctional department

He only qualifies if the hardware in question is:

a. Watercooled

b Overclocked

Best regards

GeekGod-God

Thumb Up

Like minds

Haha, I do the exact same thing only in the living room on my recliner + a media remote for page turns.

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

Re: from Geek God community correctional department

he doesn't qualify - "tower" implies that he keeps his components inside an actual case

Go

Reading

The only reading i do, is reading my quest to find out what im doing....who needs a book for a storyline! (WoW 4 Lyfe)

FAIL

Re: Reading

Which is fine if all you like is sword and sorcery...

Silver badge
FAIL

Re: Reading

And pandas...

Silver badge
FAIL

Tablets dont count

Followed by the next sentence referencing the Kindle Fire - a tablet.

Well Done! /SlowHandClap

What was the point of this article apart from the fact that you believe the only valid consumption device is dedicated ebook reader, and that you deliberately ignored the other Ebook sellers outthere?

Are you the mutant offspring of Matt Assay and Lewis Page? More mono-focused than Lewis and even less relevant than Matt?

Devil

Mutant offspring of Matt Assay and Lewis Page?

I wouldn't say that's a completely accurate description. The guy's also got some of the gratuitous offensiveness of Orlowski.

Perhaps the product of some unholy ménage à trois after a 90s Xmas party?

Pint

Re: Tablets dont count

Sarcasm bypass combined with a tad of mucho wankery.

You missed the point. Americans get the Fire. We get the Kindle.

Silver badge

Re: Mutant offspring of Matt Assay and Lewis Page?

How can he be spawn of Orlowski? The comments section is still enabled...

Bronze badge
FAIL

Perfectly happy with iPad & Nexus readers - don't need another device

My personal preference, I know, but then I don't forget charging cables & adapters when going on holiday as dipping into free wifi services to find stuff out is a rather useful function.

I'm not dissing the dedicated eBook reader - it just doesn't suit me to have that many devices, so the article is a bit too frothing at the mouth for my taste. I've stuck an e-reader on my phone that has adjustable font size, so I do get more than one line of text on the screen (and it's still readable without a magnifying glass) - you might want to look into your software settings if that's all you're getting...

Fine article

Having been reading ebooks since I had a Handspring Visor, reading books on my iPhone is no problem though I would like a proper ebook reader. Speaking of which, Amazon's failure to launch the Kindle in the UK is most annoying. Why the hell would they think I'd buy one of their existing models when they've made something a bit more useful?

JDX
Gold badge

Re: Fine article

the newest Kindles are on sale, they are the first thing I see when I open amazon.co.uk.

The Fire isn't an e-book reader.

Thumb Up

The missing ebook add-on

I'm currently reading out in the sun on an ipad1 no problem. The problem is not so much the glare on screen as the choice of bright white t-shirt you see in the reflection. Wear darker colors and its grand - unless you got your pasty white moobs out. Then you just gotta fry them critters till you get nice black crusty freckles. Sorted

Re: The missing ebook add-on

Urm, Shane, reading outside in the dark doesn't count :)

Or, as Australian's would say "There's not sunshine in Britain anyway" - not that I believe the buggers.

If you have to worry about what you wear when you're reading I'd say THAT'S a problem.

Compared to e-ink readers there really is no comparison. I used to think differently until I started using an e-ink reader regularly. I don't have to worry about the angle I hold it at...nor what colour my clothes are :))

WTF?

There is a bigger issue.

You whine and moan about there not being any competition but whinge about Digital Editions. I quite like Adobe Digital Editions (if I *must* have DRM). It works across my PC, phone, Sony Reader and the cheap-o Bebook Neo I picked up at AMS for €50.

True, there is a serious lack of choice, but it's mostly about the dearth of cross-border selling online bookstores. If you live in country 'A' but want a book in language 'B', you're buggered. Even most of larger english-language bookshops won't sell across borders.

I'm happy with the hardware I can get. I'm just waiting for the publishers to get their thumbs out and give me access to the content.

Silver badge

Where e-books go to die

> I can understand why people never like it when I ask what will happen if they go out of business, but it annoys me that they haven't considered the possibility.

We all already know the answer to this: they'll just disappear, along with the company (and your only recourse for complaint). it's not that they haven't considered the possibility, it's just that they have nothing to gain from telling you that all your investment in virtual goods and chattels are just that: virtual. They don't really exist, except in the benevolence of the supplier. And when that goes away, so does all the stuff you've paid them for.

Happy

Re: Where e-books go to die

Actually, not quite...

In the case of ePub, even if Sony, Kobo AND Adobe all go bust (which is roughly what would need to happen for Digital Editions to stop working) the books will continue to work on your licenced readers and PC.s.

Kindle - not so sure...

But this is why people strip the DRM off their books - so that they DO keep them if the worst comes to the worst.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Where e-books go to die

The company I contract for supplies ebooks to the NHS and other such places. The company works with the LOCKSS project to deal with what happens if they go tits up (www.lockss.org)

Bronze badge
Flame

Wha...?

'What kind of loser sits in front of a computer to read a book, for fuck's sake? The same Johnny-no-mates that boots up in order to play Solitaire?'

Hey, screw you! My 70 year old mother likes to sometimes quietly boot up her laptop and play a few rounds of spider solitaire during a quiet evening.

I know you seem to write to get a rise out of people, but you also tend to show an extremely narrow vision of the world and the myriad people out there. Perhaps you should run for parliament.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Wha...?

Your mother's a loser.

Silver badge

I read books on my desktop computer sometimes, generally a chapter as a break from whatever work I was doing at the time. I have a big comfy office chair, a high quality monitor and the font size is adjustable.

I really can't see what's so bad about it but then again I think going on holiday and doing nothing but reading a book that you could have read at home is a complete waste. Maybe I'm just strange?

Anonymous Coward

Reading on a desktop: what else do you do at work...

...when there's not much else to do? For the last 4 weeks I've been reading Anna Karenina on Bartleby.com in the quiet times between panics. The book's short chapters, and the monochome Bartleby reading window make for a very good slacking experience.

Bronze badge

Cock

Thumb Up

Excellent pithy article that tells it straight.

I have a Sony ebook reader from several years ago which is all an ebook should be.

Vast battery life. Black and white 'epaper' passive screen about the size of a paperback. SDCard storage for hundreds of books.

It doesn't have Wifi, colour, stereo sound, a keyboard and so on. It doesn't need them - it's a book facsimile and that's all it needs to be.

Silver badge

Elonex ereader

Easons in Ireland sell them for €99. They even have a display set up where you can mess around with an Elonex, iRiver and Sony device. The Elonex I saw had exactly the same display as any other e-ink device but the UI didn't look up to much and the device had weird kind of page control which is best described as a microswitch d-pad sitting under a circular bubble of plastic.

I would guess the kind that thinks that only a WANKER would title an article about flexible formats to be derogatory about being flexible. I like the idea that I can sit back in a comfortable place and read my book on my Kindle, then flip to my phone on public transport or just standing around and continue exactly where I left off, or flip to Kindle software on my Windows 8 tablet or Desktop to continue during a break or find a quote that I marked previously. I guess that sort of LOSER.

Silver badge
Joke

Well,

Well, you _do_ have a Win8 tablet and a Win8 desktop, so...

Silver badge
Thumb Up

More from this author please

Me likey.

Thumb Up

Galaxy Note

Since buying a Galaxy Note a couple of months ago, I haven't read a single 'traditional' book. I've read about 8 books on it so far, and love the portability of it. I can read it at night without having to turn the light on (changing the reader to white text on black background is perfect for this, and saves battery life as well!), I can read it whilst I'm eating my lunch at work, and if I'm picking someone up, or waiting for someone, I can just pick up my phone and carry on where I left off.

The only downside is I can only read books that have been released for Kindle...

Re: Galaxy Note

"The only downside is I can only read books that have been released for Kindle..."

No so. I have a 7" Galaxy Tab (perfect size for an ebook) and I have Kindle on it but I also have the Kobo app and the default Samsung one (epub as well). All work fine, so I'd be extremely surprised if you can't get an epub app on your Note.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Galaxy Note

I have a Note too but haven't read much on it due to having a Sony Prs and only having time to read at night. But strip the drm using something like the Calibre plug-in (on your desktop), convert to epub and use FbReader, Moon+ reader or something else, there's plenty of good apps. You might not even have to convert to epub with some of these apps, can't remember.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.