Norwich City FC Web CMS exposes privates. Club respond by calling police.

This topic was created by Keir Snelling .

1. Keir Snelling
    Black Helicopters

Norwich City FC Web CMS exposes privates. Club respond by calling police.

Did you see this story on the BBC site - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-17767236

It appears that Norwich were preparing a page to promote their new kit for the next season, when they inadvertently exposed pictures of the kit on public parts of the site.

A lad found them, and shared them, 12 hours before their 'official' launch.

What did Norwich do when they found out? They called the police. I'd have thought their CMS vendor's support department would have been a better place to go.

It also appears that the poor boy and his mother have been cajoled into issuing apologies for his actions, whilst he continues to help the police with their enquiries.

Mad!!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Norwich City FC Web CMS exposes privates. Club respond by calling police.

You inspired us to write this up, Keir.

Norwich FC scores own goal in net kit leak

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Heavy handed, to say the least

And Norwich FC chief executive David McNally wins today's Mr Pompous prize:

"We are the guardians of the football club whilst we're here and so we will protect our property. And our property in the digital age involves our intellectual property, so we won't allow anybody to come in and take it from us."

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Heavy handed, to say the least

"we won't allow anybody to come in and take it from us."

Uh ... by making it available, surely Nor'ich FC did exactly that?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A personal apology from Delia is required

Poor lad, he's not done anything. He should stop going on telly and apologising too. Norwich supporters, you should lambast your club for being such dicks.

1. ukgnome
      FAIL

Re: A personal apology from Delia is required

More like a grovelling apology from Stephen Fry!

(although I do believe he has already done this through twatter)

Football clubs might be big business, but they should learn that once you put something in the public domain it's going to be linked to and published and posted and smattered all over the place. I don't care if the pictures had been released by accident, get your house in order Norwich!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Stephen Fry's Twitter Response

National treasure speaks: "Storm. Teacup. Bless."

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You call "Storm. Teacup. Bless" an apology?

1. ukgnome
          FAIL

Hmm my bad - I thought he had, guess not.

I thinkl I will send a tweet of disaproval to him forthwith

2. tmTM

At least a free kit should have been given to the lad as an apology.

Norwich FC, you bunch of inbred, six fingered bullys.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Nah, he is probably traumatised enough

4. Pen-y-gors
    Thumb Down

Wasting police time?

Surely it was clear to them as soon as they spoke to the laddie that no offence had been committed, so can't the idiot 'guardians of the football club' be done for wasting police time or something similar?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

WHO ARE YER, WHO ARE YER, LETS BE 'AVING YER.

Is what Delia was heard to be yelling outside Chris Browns house

6. Da Weezil
    Big Brother

I think at the very least and - by way of an apology - there should be a free season pass for next season (possibly with a +1 thrown in) and a full set of the new kit (all strips) headed his way...

This just shows how out of hand all this IP B/S is.. and how some businesses have over inflated ideas of their importance

7. Bassey

Analogy

After someone used the old "Just because someone leaves the front door unlocked doesn't mean you can just waltz in and take what you want" (which is clearly bollocks as nothing was taken) I was trying to think of a more apt analogy. In this case it was more like Norwich have put posters up in the living room window pointing out into the street and are pissed off that someone took a photo of the poster and then re-printed it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Analogy

Nope!

It's like norwich publicised pictures of there new strip and then got upset when someone noticed

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

More like trying the handle and finding it wasn't locked?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How about this: giving someone a document containing public and private/confidential info and expecting them to just look at the page you've marked for them? If you leave them to it they will look at the rest if it's interesting enough. The fault is entirely your own.

They may have had a point about unauthorised distribution of the pics, but the Computer Misuse bit was stretching it somewhat. From what I can see the police seem to have correctly determined that it wasn't a big deal and opted for getting them to kiss and make up (or was there more to their response?).

Norwich City management are arses, for sure.

8. Mad Mike

New Web Designers

Sounds like they'd be better off employing this lad as their web designer. The current bunch obviously don't have a clue. He's committed (far more than just money) and obviously has a bit of technical nouse.

Free season ticket and kit strips for next season and first match in the directors box by way of apology.

1. ukgnome
      Facepalm

Re: New Web Designers

According to the beeb

"Chris told the BBC he was able to take the images from a section of the site that was being worked on, finding them linked from a file within the website's source code."

1. The BigYin

@ukgnome

OMG! Deport him to Guantanamo! He's looking at the HTML!!!!!!!!!! (froth, seethe). And that quote is from Auntie who is supposed to be getting behind teaching kids to code. They need a boot in the balls. Then again, editing a URL is an offence in the UK (I shit you not - I remember just such a story from a few years ago).

What kind of utter moron does dev work on the PUBLIC server anyhoo?

1. ukgnome

Absolutley - I'm just surprised that they haven't linked this 17YO to anon / lulz / teamprick

When I worked for a uni the CMS was carried out in a walled garden and when you made it live it would transfer all it's links over to the prod enviroment. Sure we had a few squeeky bum moments when creating content, but nothing happens until you click the big "LIVE" button

The CMS firm need a slap, unless of course this was part of an elaborate kit launch that wanted world wide coverage. (perhaps not)

2. Sir Cosmo Bonsor

> "obviously has a bit of technical nouse [sic]"

I'm not sure "Right Click -> Save As..." counts as technical nous, but your point is valid.

9. wolfetone Silver badge
    Devil

What's the problem?!

The kit is identical to last seasons strip.

10. M 6

As an Ipswich fan I honestly couldn't give two shits.

1. Studley

As an Ipswich fan, our own kit launch was much more embarrassing (YouTube)

1. thesykes

are you sure that wasn't produced by Norwich fans as a spoof?

1. Studley

Very sure - that's Ipswich legend John Wark dressed as the "farmer"!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"As an Ipswich fan"

I know a whole bunch of people who reckon you have enough trouble as it is - just being an Ipswich fan.

11. pig

I bet Norwich are getting a free pen test this morning.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

WHAT????

Is that the test when you borrow a pen and don't return it?

Or the one where the worlds zombies all try to access Norwich football clubs website and make it wheeze and splutter/

Or is it the one were you go to the doctors because it's gone green (or is that a penis test?)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: WHAT????

2 thumbs down - I guess two people failed the pen(is) test already

12. davefb
    Thumb Down

evidence not required?

So, we all bleat about the rights and wrongs of various digital age laws, surely this is a good example of 'where was the evidence?'. Why were the police actually able seemingly to goto the kids address with it seems just the word of norwich saying "he dunnit"..

13. Yet Another Commentard

Police involvement

This disturbs me. Why were the police so eager to arrest this lad (I am unsure of the charge) but seem incapable when my parents called to say they had just been burgled (burglarized for our US readers) and the felon was running down the road. it took three weeks for someone to come out and say "have a crime reference number, we'll never catch him."

Does this mean the police are keen to deal with things that may be civil rather than criminal? Or keen to deal with things where there may be some TV time or a rich/famous victim?

14. The Serpent

Legal obligations of NCFC

Though they apparently left themselves open to this problem, NCFC obviously did not intend to make those pictures public at that time. From their perspective it might have looked like successful, unauthorised access to their systems and therefore would they not be obliged to report it to the police as a potential crime under the Computer Misuse Act 1990?

Still, their actions were heavy handed as ringing up at 04:30 was a clear attempt to catch him off guard - they were quick enough to organise that bit, but slow in examining the assumption they held the moral and technical high ground, which is what ultimately bit them on the arse

15. Matthew 25

The ramifications of this are clear

You should never post anything on line.... OOPS!!

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Rotten behaviour

By the club ... by the police (who should also be apologising)

Also how were the above parties able to get their hands on the guys address and phone number so quickly.

I'm guessing Norwich used their Season ticket database.

17. Tsung

The local rag (EDP) covered this story on their website with the option for people to comment . In the morning there were many comments criticising the football clubs over-reaction to what was clearly a mistake by their IT Team. No worries, by the afternoon they were all deleted and only the very moderate comments and ones criticising the boy were left. The story has been totally rewritten now.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

local rag? surely you mean "regional newspaper of the year 2010"?

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Am I reading this right?

Norwich has like broadband and computers and electricity and stuff!!!

Seriously?

And they have a teenager that engages in this witchcraft?

And here was me thinking they only had broads band

1. IT Hack
      IT Angle

Re: Am I reading this right?

Sounds to me they don't have a dev and staging environment...

I think I just got a bit technical there.

19. LinkOfHyrule
    Paris Hilton

Norwich

Nockers

Out

Ready

When

I

Come

Home

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Norwich

It's "knickers off...." even if it was the other it would still be spelt "knockers" when written out.

SWALK - to make up for the pedantry

1. LinkOfHyrule
        Happy

Re: Norwich

I know , I know but its a reference to Bottom Live Two though, they make mention of the fact it should really be Knorwich! Any Rik or Ade fans should get it.

20. graeme leggett Silver badge

Update

http://www.edp24.co.uk:80/news/crime/update_teenager_who_leaked_pictures_of_norwich_city_s_new_kit_won_t_be_punished_1_1353333

All friends again now apparently and more interested in todays game vs Blackburn.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon