Step Changes (pioneered by Fusion-io)

This topic was created by Chris Mellor 1 .

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chris Mellor 1

Step Changes (pioneered by Fusion-io)

Drop comments on the Step Changes Blocks and Files article in this topic please.

2. Nate Amsden

what about these new flash hybrid startups?

I mean if this process that co-ordinates data movement between server-based flash and storage array based flash in an efficient and reliable manor - does that take the gas out of some of these new flash startups?

I suppose it depends on how long it takes for this server flash+storage array co-ordination stuff to take, it sounds pretty complicated.

3. Nate Amsden

Fusion IO partners

also just wanted to point out the obvious that fusion io isn't in the market to compete directly against the likes of HP and IBM - I'm sure they very much want to OEM the technology to those folks, the big three are already big partners of Fusion IO. It wouldn't surprise me at all that at least for a while these guys just certify and re-sell the fusion io tech to their customers. I mean Fusion IO has only one product right - the flash. They don't make servers, don't make arrays, none of that stuff.

HP hasn't made disk drives in ages(I think they used to a LOOONG time ago? I could be mis remembering though), IBM hasn't either. They just go out and acquire the stuff they need and slap their management interfaces on top of it and throw their support behind it and jack up the price.

I'm sure there will be some effort to standardize on the technology so you can take a HP server and connect it to an IBM storage array or Dell server and connect to HP storage and have it be compatible and supported. Those big vendors don't like to lose out on opportunities to get their foot in the door of the competition - and being compatible really helps make it that much easier.

4. ccc13481

DIV - data in virtuel

It seems to me that is look a lot like IBM's DIV that is running on mainframes.

With the difference that DIV also work on data that is on good oldfassion DASD.

1. Chris Mellor 1

Re: DIV - data in virtuel

I think the server companies could build their own SW to do this - and so gain control of what could be a key technology.

Chris.

This topic is closed for new posts.