Feeds

back to article Notebook makers hit hard in pre-Ivy Bridge lull

Taiwanese ODMs which produce notebooks for some of the world’s biggest brands including Acer, Dell, HP and Lenovo are set to see shipments fall by up to 20 per cent in April as the transition to Intel’s much anticipated Ivy Bridge platform takes hold. The new chips are set to land later in the month, but large scale shipments of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

Now it's a lull...

Before Christmas it was because of a tidal wave

What's the next excuse?

Anonymous Coward

Re: Now it's a lull...

Everyone is waiting for WOA.

I'm not sure people are waiting for IB. I reckon most people bought an ipad and have run out of spare cash.

Laptops are boring. You replace them when they break because you need one, and if it has broken, you need a new one now, not in 6 months.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Now it's a lull...

Just because you only buy a laptop when your old one breaks, doesn't mean the same goes for everyone else in the world.

'Most people' don't own and won't be buying iPads this year. True, the new iPad launch will have had a small effect on laptop spending recently.

Silver badge

AMD?

We should also be seeing a wave of APU-based ultrathins in the near future. I think these are more interesting to me than the latest generation of Intel. IB is a step forward. The APUs seem like more of a cartwheel. Could be good or bad, but looks like it'll be good.

Thumb Up

Re: use AMD APUs?

I agree, but haven't seen one with an SSD yet, do they exist?

Also Apple PCs

Rumour mills also suggest Apple are managing transition to IB, see e.g. MacRumors do not buy advice on the MacBook, iMac and Mac Pro lines.

These monthly figures, as manufacturers manage inventory, mean nothing in overall projections for 2012.

Anonymous Coward

Few want Ultrabooks

Only a few folks want an underpowered, over-priced Ultrabook. AMD will however sell a lot of Ultrathins with Trinity APUs. That's where the smart money is.

This topic is closed for new posts.