Feeds

back to article Microsoft to bake Windows 8 in three flavours

Microsoft has announced that Windows 8 will come in three versions. A post on the Windows Team Blog says “For PCs and tablets powered by x86 processors (both 32 and 64 bit), we will have two editions: Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro.” So far so mundane. But the post goes on to let us all know that there's a third version, Windows …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Thumb Down

3 versions...

None of which I will be using.

having seen the interface, WIndows 8 will be an abortion.

Re: 3 versions...

IF Windows RT doesn't work out, they could rename it to windows RG (real good)

Anonymous Coward

...or Redmond Trash?

Silver badge
Linux

Real-Time ? Perhaps tasks are performed in real-time when asked for.

All I'm interested in is "which existing functionality will they cease to support this time?"

Anonymous Coward

> having seen the interface, Windows 8 will be an abortion.

Having used the interface I can confirm it is indeed an abortion.

It's full of creative, unusual and above all really fucking stupid ideas. Solitaire now has a banner inviting you to log into your xbox live account.

Think about that for a moment; multi-player features in solitaire.....

JC_
Thumb Down

Re: Solitaire

Thought about it a second and came up with a points table that results could be posted to, similar to the Sudoko game on WP7. Of course, you didn't actually want thinking, just applause for calling it an "abortion"...

Its because you not logged in if you do it goes away. Live is not just multiplayer gameing there is so so much more to it like gamerscores avatar customisation chat etc and personally i dont get how that is a stupid idea esp as live is one of MS big success stories.

The interface also rocks but you dont like it then the desktop is still there. Taste is a personal thing so i wont say your wrong but personally i love it and i know many people that feel the same. Plus its so much faster already and thats on a beta! It seems people like you hate advancement im sure you would be much happier useing dos.

Anonymous Coward

That's a good list of things which are of absolutely zero consequence or interest in the enterprise

It's Run Time

As in the referenced blog article at

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2012/04/16/announcing-the-windows-8-editions.aspx

"For new apps, the focus for Windows RT is development on the new Windows runtime, or WinRT, which we unveiled in September and forms the foundation of a new generation of cloud-enabled, touch-enabled, web-connected apps of all kinds. "

Thumb Down

Re: It's Run Time

I guess the author was too busy even to bother to look up the definition from previous articles on El Reg : http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/02/13/woa_office_15_ie10_clearer/page2.html

Unhappy

Just in case you haven't seen it, do a Google search on windows rg and check it out.

Devil

Windows 8 will be the new Windows ME/Vista everyone knows you jump an edition.

Anonymous Coward

yep

who ever knew that windows would be the star trek movies of software.

JDX
Gold badge

On the PC maybe (or probably), on the tablet it could be pretty good.

I'm impressed they are apparently including Office on RT, but isn't that going to annoy the ones who thought even bundling a browser was too far?

Silver badge

Re: yep

"who ever knew that windows would be the star trek movies of software."

Only in this case, it's all the odd numbered ones that are any good.

Thumb Down

Hmm...

Going from Windows 3.11 - Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98 SE, Windows Me, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7...

So...if I skipped 95 I'd have ended up with 98, then Me, then XP, then 7

....if I was on 95, I'd skip 98, end up with 98SE, then 2000, then Vista...

....either way I'd have ended up with the fucking awful Me or Vista...so that theory - once again - is shown to be bollocks.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Hmm...

Don't Me and 2000 occupy parallel positions on the home and business paths?

so 98SE- Me - XP- Vista - 7

or

98SE (NT4 if you're a proper business) - 2000 - XP (Pro) - Vista - 7

Gold badge
Happy

Ah yes, but you're considering 98SE as a seperate release rather than the 98 SP1 it actually was. Worth having, but not worth spending release money on to move to it from 98.

2k was on the NT track, not the consumer desktop track which limped off into ME land. While it made a great office desktop, it wasn't for general use as it lacked the back-compatibility with the consumer stream which materialised in XP.

So that's 3.11 --> 98 and/or SE --> XP --> 7. In meerkat terms, simples and the future is thus 9-shaped.

As for starting from 95, well that puts you firmly at the start of the "dog" track, giving you ME and Vista to look forward to and quite rightly so IMHO.

Headmaster

Re: yep

Only in this case, it's all the odd numbered ones that are any good.

So is "vista" a odd or an even number?

Silver badge

"While it made a great office desktop, it wasn't for general use as it lacked the back-compatibility with the consumer stream which materialised in XP"

That was so much bull.

I ran Win2k on my home machine for about 10 years before finally deciding Win7 was worth an upgrade. I never had any problems with hardware compatibility and during that time I went through at least 3 motherboards, 2 processors, several video cards and I don't know how many printers. Also I didn't have problems with any games working on it until the last couple of years when new titles became XP/Vista only. I used XP at work because it was the corporate standard but at no time did I feel the need to move my home machine to the Fischer Price OS.

So what were the consumer issues with Win2k?

Bronze badge

The best thing about Windows XP? It had a better Windows 2000 theme than Windows 2000 :)

Trollface

"non fischer price baby interface for desktops?"

ill take the playmobil version.

FAIL

Ability to turn Start Screen OFF?

I don't see that listed.

A shame, because Win 8 runs better than 7, snappy, boots fast, just has the UI From Hell, that makes Ubuntu's interface look sane - something I thought was impossible. Bloody hell even iOS would be better.

Also - x86 (32 and 64 versions) - I though x86 IS 32bit (confusingly illogical) and x64 IS 64bit (confusingly logical).

Re: Ability to turn Start Screen OFF?

It would have made sense on Windows 8 Pro. That's the one businesses would be getting if it wasn't going to be a clanger.

Windows

Regarding the UI, there's Classic Shell, and it has Start menu. It shouldn't be necessary to install a third party application to make an OS usable, of course, but all is not as bad as it looks at first.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86

Don't the pre-releases run fast, but slow down when some of the missing features and bugs are fixed?

Silver badge
Boffin

Usually pre-releases run slower than release code since they contai9n large amounts of debug code.

Whether or not this is the case in the Win8 CP, I can't say for sure but it seems likely.

Silver badge

There are various addons to do this already, and a built in toggle is predictable:- Metro does not work below 1024x768. So yep, pull out a 1024x600 netbook, and on a machine with a tiny screen which would be ideal for Metro, you get no Metro, only the desktop.

I very, very much doubt it will be an exposed option, though.

Mushroom

No the x86 refures to the familly of processor not the bit count. It comes from the 8086 processor that came to be 286, 386 486 pentium etc. The first one ie 8086 was only 16bit. They just keep it for 32bit as people already recognise it as for that family of prosessor but they had to seporate then the 64 from the 32bit and then it got messy.

This post has been deleted by its author

Anonymous Coward

Looks like a bid to be relevant in the modern world

What's the betting you can't opt out of Windows Store and having a Microsoft Account at install?

JDX
Gold badge

Re: Looks like a bid to be relevant in the modern world

Low because that wouldn't fly in the business world at all. Even Apple don't force you to have an Apple ID when you install MacOSX.

Bronze badge
Facepalm

Re: Looks like a bid to be relevant in the modern world

Don't say that!!! You'll give them IDEAS!!!

Silver badge
Windows

Be still my heart

It's so exciting.

Silver badge
Windows

w00T

I'll be even further behind soon.

Still quite happy with the previous eXPerience.

WTF?

Recycled Technology?

"Windows RT: Windows Recycled Technology (with Genuine Metro (tm)) takes the best features of Microsoft's over-hyped, under performing Windows Phone 7 operating system (little tiley things all over your screen and a touch screen/keyboard/mouse mashup UI) and combines them with the worst-in-class marketing Microsoft are famous for as well as some random bits from Microsoft's previous desktop operating system (no, not Vista, the other one) to give users who are too stupid to buy an iPad something to play with."

Devil

Re: Recycled Technology?

Windows Phone is excellent...and iOS is absolutely shit for any real productivity....

Gold badge

Re: Recycled Technology?

Please quantify, you can connect a Bluetooth keyboard to iOS and run stuffy office apps if you really want to (yawn).

There's tons of tools for musicians. That is "productive" surely?

Silver badge

Of course the version you'll want to get...

...will be called "Windows Server 2013" or something and be amazingly expensive.

This post has been deleted by its author

Bronze badge

Windows RD

I like the speed of Windows 8 even on a low specification ten year out of date PC, I hate the silly nursery screen on start up but found out yesterday that some of the crap can be deleted. What are all the blobby thing there for other than to massage someone's misguided ego.

If I wanted to do many of those things I would NOT be sat at a desktop PC!

It makes no sense since clicking on any of the play blobs fill the screen blocking out everything else. Best go straight to desk top but how to find useful applications? Ah short cuts to clutter up the desktop.

So we now have Windows RD (Really Dumb) featuring a core that looked to be going the right way, but stuffed like a Christmas Turkey with all the stuff you neither want nor need.

Perhaps Windows Turkey edition might be a better name.

Richard

WTF?

media center?

As a user of media center I don't see that mentioned anywhere. Did I miss it or is MS abandoning the best UI they ever made?

Re: media center?

I don't care for the UI much, which is pretty bloody sloppy in my opinion. The functionality is essential though.

Wasn't Media Center only on the Premium, Ultimate, or some other more expensive version than Basic?

Bronze badge
Facepalm

Yes. AFAIK Media Centre took the bullet when Metcow came out.

It's mentioned in the main Microsoft article as an "economical add in for Windows 8 Pro" or something like that.

FAIL

Still not getting it, are you Microsoft?

Still no Remote Desktop server on the "home" version?

Hint: If you want your product to be used in media centre-type devices then people need a way to manage the bloody things remotely. Fannying around with a keyboard/pointing device in a living room, even wireless, with a bloody great big screen 10ft away is no fun at all.

Sigh.

Still, at least there's not seventy gazillion versions this time.

JDX
Gold badge

Re: Still not getting it, are you Microsoft?

You're not supposed to run a media centre by remote-desktopping into it. That's the whole point of DLNA, etc.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.