Feeds

back to article ICANN battled dot-word TLD registration leak bug for WEEKS

Red-faced ICANN has delayed its new generic top-level domains programme again as it struggles to deal with the fallout of a security bug that exposed confidential data about applicants. The internet overseer also confirmed it was first warned of a data leak vulnerability in mid-March, weeks before it eventually pulled the plug …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

$180k for an application...

... but no attention to spare for confidentiality.

Sure, it's a glitch, an oversight. Not the sort you'd accept from people you pay that much, though, not with these stakes.

(Leaving the criticisms aside of the overall idea. Or maybe them going ahead with a foolhardy plan despite strong opposition, out of what, possibly simple greed, is actually relevant? You decide.)

Pint

loadsamoney!

Don't forget that on top of the $185,000 application fee the applicant has to pony up either an Irrevocable Letter of Credit to ICANN of $300,000 or put that amount of cash into an escrow account with them. So in reality, an application costs $485,000 up front.

Not exactly small beer!

Bronze badge
Black Helicopters

In their interest not to fix it?

Damn, I bet ICANN are gutted that they may potentially have to run extra auctions and thus make loads more money.

Quite a good return for having poor security.

I bet banks wish security flaws worked to their advantage like that.

Silver badge
FAIL

wow

All I can say with an organization like ICANN is people seem to be fine as individuals usually but get them together in a group and their is no limit to the stupidity, evil and general buggery they can commit. None of us are as dumb as all of us.

Suddenly the reason for new TLDs becomes $180,000 clearer. And what does ICANN plan to do with all this new found money?

FAIL

Hmmmmm

I wonder if California's Security Breach Notification Law applies here?

This topic is closed for new posts.