Feeds

back to article Intel shows Apple how to win a trademark dispute in China

Chip giant Intel has shown Apple how to deal with an irksome trademark dispute in China by claiming a legal victory over Shenzhen-based printing peripherals firm Inteljet over the weekend. Chipzilla won 400,000 yuan (£20,000) in compensation after Shanghai No.2 Intermediate People's Court agreed with it that the name of Shenzhen …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
FAIL

Who does your foreign exchange?

I would like very much to meet them, as I can only get 10 yuen to the pound, and if I could get 20, then that would help with me being in China at the moment.

Silver badge
Stop

Not comparable cases

I've no idea how you can claim that what Intel have done shows Apple how things should be done. The Intel case involves a trademark that they had registered being infringed by a similar name. The Apple case is about ownership of a single trademark that Apple claims had been sold to it. Completely different areas of the law.

Silver badge

Re: Not comparable cases

While I concur they are completely different, I'm not so sure the Intel wasn't just a case of the more expensive lawyers winning a case (the tinfoil hat crowd would probably even suggest bribery was involved). Given that Intel doesn't make inkjet or toner cartridges, I see no overlap for the trademark even if the names are similar. 'Intel' in both instances is obviously a shortening of "Intelligence" and thus the name is subject to being derived by independent means.

Well done Intel, that's how it is done. But then a clever, innovative company will always be efficient in these legal matters, China respects innovation.

This topic is closed for new posts.