back to article 'Selling your citizens to foreigner is not acceptable!'

This was the week when flagging Finnish phone firm Nokia had a few fumbles. First, its US Lumia 900 launch didn't go quite as smoothly as it had hoped, when excited American early adopters who rushed out to snap up the mobe on the first weekend found a wireless data bug. Nokia quickly said that models were now being …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. auburnman
    Joke

'Selling your citizens to foreigner is not acceptable!'

I wasn't aware the veteran rock band had moved into people trafficking.

1. Ross Luker
      Coat

Re: 'Selling your citizens to foreigner is not acceptable!'

Would it be acceptable to sell your citizens to Journey?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 'Selling your citizens to foreigner is not acceptable!'

Curse you auburnman, beat me to it! :)

2. Greg J Preece

"This new, sleek look will be the most important reason that consumers decide to upgrade."

Says everything you need to know about the current smartphone market.... Does anyone remember when a smartphone used to be all about capability?

1. JimC
      Black Helicopters

> remember when a smartphone used to be all about capability?

Do I remember when a smartphone used to be about capability?

Now you mention it I'm not sure I do remember any such time. ISTR image/status as always being part of the appeal right from the early days of the things. But perhaps I'm just too cynical...

1. Greg J Preece

Re: > remember when a smartphone used to be all about capability?

I'm going to go with cynicism. ;-) Back when I started buying smartphones, they certainly weren't status/fashion symbols. Big, ugly silver bricks cluttered with keyboards and styluses, when everyone wanted smaller, thinner, more fashionable phones, ultimately culminating in the - *spit* - Razr.

They were not pretty to look at, twice the size of anything else, and had pretty piss-poor user interfaces, but they could do everything. The current set of "smartphones" (Android and iOS) took years to achieve pretty much the same level of functionality. Oooh, your smartphone can multitask now, can it? I must have fallen through a timewarp to ten years ago.

1. Ken 16 Silver badge

Re: > remember when a smartphone used to be all about capability?

"The current set of "smartphones" (Android and iOS) took years to achieve pretty much the same level of functionality" and, now they've got that functionality (and there isn't much between the different models) the choice comes down to styling and cost.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

There in a single sentence...

... you have a summary of all that is wrong with early 21st-century globalised capitalism. Well, I suppose it could have mentioned world hunger and ended "Let them eat smartphones", but it's a pretty good start.

3. ElReg!comments!Pierre
    Trollface

So...

... let me summarize that Anonymous thing: as the movement has it's roots in the US, we can assume that it still has a massive US base. Meaning that a lot of American citizens have committed computer crime in the UK... - and will again over the nex few Saturdays.

Any chance to have them extradited to Blighty then? Nah, I didn't think so either. Although it would be funny to try.

1. Keep Refrigerated
      Holmes

Re: So...

Also, perhaps the inverse is true. If you hack servers of UK/US firms that are actually hosted in countries with less stringent enforcement and regulations in place you can attack them with impunity?

Hmm... thought not.

4. divx
    Holmes

Nokia + MS Bashing

Hey there "The Reg",

This is the first time I've visited the site in about 4 months, after being an avid user I used to tune in every morning to find out what was happening. But I lost all respect for the site when all you would ever do was bash MS and Nokia products - i.e the Nokia Lumia 800.

With such short sightedness and total disregard for a device that has now really mixed things up, especially with the spawn of the Lumia 900 which is now AT&T's hero device it proves that you really got it wrong.

Oh and the the new iPhone "uni-body design like the MacBook" - Try "uni-body design like the Lumia or HTC devices"

Allot of users got the Windows phone and Nokia partnership wrong, its so far a huge success...

1. Ben 42
      Devil

Re: Nokia + MS Bashing

Thanks divx. Check's in the mail.

-Steve B.

(sadly there is no longer a Ballmer icon - this will have to do)

2. Confuciousmobil
      FAIL

[quote]Allot of users got the Windows phone and Nokia partnership wrong, its so far a huge success...[quote]

2 Million sales in the first quarter? (the iPhone 4S sold 1 Million in the first 24 hours)

A profit warning due to low sales? Refunds to unsatisfied customers?

This is a huge success?

I am dissappointed as I was hoping Windows Phone would prove the third force in the mobile OS but so far there is no sign of them making a dent. Hopefully they will succeed but they really need to pull their figure out before Nokia pull out of the mobile phone market completely.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

He means compared to Nokia's sales before they joined up with MS. Hmmm, no, that doesn't sound right.

He means compared to MS's sales before they joined up with Nokia. Nope, no, still something wrong.

He means it just is, ok?

5. divx

Yeah,

This about sums it up

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like