Feeds

back to article Citrix kicks down door, breaks up OpenStack cloud party

Two years ago, Rackspace went after Amazon in a big way, launching an open-source cloud initiative called OpenStack. Since that time, more than 150 companies have signed up to the anti-Amazon party. Last week, however, one big participant decided to leave OpenStack to create an after-party that by many accounts fixes a slew of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Bronze badge

expectations too high

to expect any product to reach a very mature solid state to where a big company would use it in serious production in only two years is expecting too much I think. Especially when it comes to storage(that object storage thing they have) - gotta make sure it's solid.

I suspect the only serious folks using these things are going to have on staff developers that can help maintain/fix issues in the product for some years to come.

Thumb Up

+1

Since I slag off Matt's writing all the time I need to give credit when it's due. This is a nice piece of work.

Anonymous Coward

It's all about the marketing....

OpenStack we see in the open is not the same as OpenStack used by the likes of HP, . It's good marketing as "Open" and saves them lots of $$$ though. Expect a fork and secret sauce (including important fixes) to reside behind closed doors, so in fact the project is worse off. There is a reason why the big vendors look for code under an Apache License. Don't forget, the big companies need some USP's and differentiation.

Despite all the hype, OpenStack is not "The Linux of the Cloud". Actually, Citrix have made a good move by making the CloudStack project neutral, as in properly neutral, not "Rackspace says it's open and there is a foundation and and and!!1???oneone". Wheels will fall off the OpenStack bus when people start to actually wake up and smell the coffee.

This topic is closed for new posts.