Foxtel’s ambitious IPTV plans have been significantly thwarted following the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission’s conditions which will allow Foxtel’s AUS$1.9 billion takeover of pay- TV operative Austar to go ahead. While Foxtel has passed its last hurdle in the acquisition with the green light from the regulator, …
Can someone explain what a 'linear channel' is please?
Foxtel and Austar were never competitors anyway (the country was split in 2 with half for each company). If you lived in a "Foxtel" area, Austar refused to sell you a service (even via satelite), and vice versa with Foxtel in "Austar" areas. It was to all intents and purposes, two parallel monopolies - all approved and rubber stamped by the ACCC.
Now the two monopolies will merge creating an uber monopoly with no direct competition - again green lighted by the ACCC.
Makes you wonder what the role of the ACCC really is, because it sure aint to promote competition. About the only area where they've done some good has been in trying to keep Telstra in check over the years, but even that has been precious little.
- Xmas Round-up Ten top tech toys to interface with a techie’s Christmas stocking
- It's true, the START MENU is coming BACK to Windows 8, hiss sources
- Google embiggens its fat vid pipe Chromecast with TEN new supported apps
- Pic NASA Mars tank Curiosity rolls on old WET PATCH, sighs, sniffs for life signs
- Microsoft: Don't listen to 4chan ... especially the bit about bricking Xbox Ones