No matter how you define it, cloud computing is big. The 451 Group forecasts the cloud computing market to hit $16.7bn in revenue by 2013, while Forrester more aggressively projects it to top $241bn by 2020. A variety of vendors are angling to own a significant chunk of that revenue, with "open" displacing "cheap" as the …
The real measure of openness....
...is how easy or difficult it will be to tell the vendor to go to hell.
Open formats and open-source tools are probably the best way to keep that option available, but not the only way. Openness is whatever achieves the opposite of lock-in.
- Asteroid's SHOCK DINO MURDER SPREE just bad luck - boffins
- BEST BATTERY EVER: All lithium, all the time, plus a dash of carbon nano-stuff
- Stick a 4K in them: Super high-res TVs are DONE
- Review You didn't get the MeMO? Asus Pad 7 Android tab is ... not bad
- FTC to mobile carriers: If you could stop text scammers being jerks that'd be just great