back to article James Murdoch QUITS BSkyB chairmanship

BSkyB chairman James Murdoch is reportedly stepping down from his role. The company declined to comment on the news story that was "broken" by Sky News, an organisation owned by BSkyB. According to that report James Murdoch - the son of media tycoon Rupert Murdoch - will quit the chairman role this afternoon. His decision to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. LinkOfHyrule
    Coat

"The company declined to comment on the news story that was "broken" by Sky News, an organisation owned by BSkyB."

That's like if the BBC News Channel had broke the news that George Alagiah had just farted in the lift at BBC TV Centre isint it? It's hardly fair to claim "BREAKING NEWS!!!!" like its some high example of journalistic endeavour when it's your own blooming company's news is it!

At least a fart actually breaks though.

Mine's the one with a faint whiff of egg.

2. squilookle
    Devil

So they all get off scott free and continue raking in the cash, then. I'm shocked....

And while I'm at it, it's about time they put a stop to this rebranded News of the World they're selling now too.

1. Ru

"put a stop to this rebranded News of the World"

Why? They wound up a centuries old brand largely out of embarassment, not out of any legal imperative.

The sad fact is that there is a market for this sort of publication, and if the Sun crew don't do it someone else will, and the "journalism" will be much the same.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nice man

Could not happen to a nicer man!!!

But why is he even still employed by them?

Guess that is the power of having a Dad that is a member of the media Mafia......how long till he and the rest of them get what they deserve.......which is about 10-20 years!

Could someone please hack is phone so we know what's going on for certain!!!

1. Mike Dimmick

Re: Nice man

"But why is he even still employed by them?"

He isn't. That's what 'non-executive' means (though he can still claim expenses). He's still a director because News International own 41% of BSkyB and so are entitled to nominate directors.

I feel this level of ownership still gives NI sufficient influence over BSkyB for Ofcom to continue investigating whether BSkyB is a fit and proper company to hold broadcasting licences.

4. Ru
    Happy

Long Past Time

No matter what you think of Murdoch senior (and there are precious few people with nice things to say about him) the guy knew how to make a media empire. His son? bit of a waste of food, that one. He's failed to achieve anything of note during his career, and is a striking example of why a tendency towards founding dynasties and nepotism is seldom a good idea.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Long Past Time

> No matter what you think of Murdoch senior [...]

> the guy knew how to make a media empire.

Hmmm...

To quote a much-retweeted gem: Don't tell me Murdoch was a genius. Fairgrounds are busier than libraries. Brothels are busier than nunneries. It's not hard.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Long Past Time

'Brothels are busier than nunneries. It's not hard.'

And yet the brothels are still busy?

5. Jeebus

There's enough stupid people to keep The Sun selling well in this nation. Hollyoaks is also watched by hundreds of thousands.

Asking for integrity and pride from these people is an utterly pointless waste of time.

6. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Flame

The usual definition of "influencing" is > 20% stake.

So 41% is *more* than enough to say that while they do not *control* BSkyB they certainly have a big say in *any* decisions made.

I doubt this govt have the collective b***ocks to take the boy Murdoch down and Rebekah (?) Brooks is there to act as his personal human shield.

7. Enrico Vanni
    Pint

Follow the money....

The writing is on the wall for the NI Empire in the UK at last. The fatal blow will be struck not by the government, but by the nation of Qatar when they underwrite the removal of BSkyB's crown jewels - EPL TV rights. All this charade is just to make the public thing UK politicos are making the correct moral choice when they take the Arab money instead.....

(Pint glass - get used to seeing a lot less of it in the corner of the big screens in pubs....)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He's "stepped aside" not resigned....

This is how they are spinning it on the skyintranet:

James Murdoch steps aside as Chairman

James Murdoch has decided to step aside as Chairman of BSkyB. He will go back to being a non-executive director of Sky.

Nick Ferguson, who has been a director of Sky since 2004, will become the new Chairman of the company.

“I have always sought to put the interests of Sky, our customers and our shareholders first,” James told today@sky. “This decision, while difficult for me, is consistent with that approach. In the light of the continuing intensity and volume of commentary around past events at News International, I want to ensure that the interests of BSkyB should not be undermined by matters that ultimately have nothing to do with it.”

Chief Executive Jeremy Darroch paid tribute to James’ contribution.

“James has played a huge role in the development of Sky. His energy and passion have helped transform us from a single product company into the broad based, modern business we know today with over 10 million customers. Over the years I’ve witnessed at first hand his passionate commitment to our entire business, all of our people, and our broader contribution to life in the UK and Ireland. I’d like to thank him for all he has done and the support he has given to me and the whole team at Sky.”

This topic is closed for new posts.