Feeds

back to article Broadband a climate champion: ITU

The ITU’s Broadband Commission report, The Broadband Bridge: Linking ICT with Climate Action, is a good piece of advocacy – but can its prescriptions work? The premise of the report is simple enough: the Copenhagen Accord seeks a capping of emissions at 44 gigatonnes of CO2 by 2020, but that’s unlikely to be achieved. There’s a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

Telecommuting: The Problem is with your PHB

You know the one who thinks that 'working from home' is akin to skiving off.

The one who refuses to answer your emails unless he can see your head in your cubicle.(If you were in the office why would you send him an email (don't answer that...))

The one who despite all the emails saying 'great work' and exceeding all your agreed goals uses, 'your timekeeping is abysmal' as an excuse for not giving you a raise.

Anon as I work from home and I know my new boss (who is not a PHB) reads 'El Reg'.

Bronze badge

Re: Telecommuting: The Problem is with your PHB

Agreed - telecommuting in one form or another has been around for couple of decades but has been hampered by "working from home = skiving" and "remote access gadgets are perks for the bosses, not the prols".

Similarly, video-conferencing has been around for a long time but, when some senior manager is whining about how he has to travel to the Far East yet again, the suggestion that he could instead use one of the under-utilised video conferencing suites will be about as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit. Even the climate conferences in Kyoto and Copenhagen saw hundreds of people travelling from various parts of the world instead of using conferencing technologies.

Anonymous Coward

I too am pessimistic.

It is laughable that the ICT industry wants to feel good about itself by laying claim over any and all possible energy savings in every aspect of our profligate consumptive existence, whether from heating, travel, transport, and agriculture.

The dream that ICT will somehow lead to less consumption is utter fantasy.

It will not end well regardless of what is done.

This topic is closed for new posts.