Feeds

back to article Drobo inks chumship with Acronis in virty cloud combo package

Drobo has made a hefty petabyte sale to an undisclosed single customer, and has announced a formal partnership with backup supplier Acronis. Drobo makes snazzy, curvesome desktop storage boxes that you populate yourself with varying capacity disk drives and SSDs. It also has 8-bay and 1-bay rackmount products for small business …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Joke

That sales rep must be on cloud9

Silver badge

businesses with limited resources that are embracing virtualisation

Ah. Another category to add to my "one born every minute" file.

Anonymous Coward

Does anyone actually rate the Drobo 4 drive boxes (via firewire) these days - seem to get some bad reviews but also a lot of good ones - just wondered if the bad ones are genuine or from people expecting miracles?

I actually have one - one of the first V2 editions with USB as well.

Runs a treat, though not as fast as a dedicated RAID solution. But for domestic, maintenance free almost-redundant storage it's fine. Never crashed or missed a beat.

Though mine has decided to start running its fan on maximum for some reason after years of hassle-free running. And one of the drives can vibrate a bit - nothing a paper wedge couldnt fix.

Thumb Up

Drobo 4 Drive

I've got one of the 4 drive units. It is pig slow but it does work well. Mine is on Firewire 800 but it doesn't approach anything like full speed. But on the upside it is hassle free.

However I wouldn't rely on it for sole backup, but that is true of any device. Aside from failure, if it gets nicked you are in just as much trouble. So I combine my backups with an separate off-site backup onto standard hard disks. Mine has effectively replaced my optical disc backup which was effectively becoming unmanageable.

Thumb Up

I've got one of these, with the separate unit for networking.

It's not exactly fast. And while I have a backup of my own machine's RAID array on the Drobo, I certainly wouldn't rely on it for backup -- I have a separate off-site hard disk for backup.

What it does very well is lets a number of users in the household access material of common interest.

All in all, satisfactory, though in my view rather more expensive than there's any need for it to be.

This topic is closed for new posts.