Feeds

back to article Dot-word TLD registration closes tonight, maybe for many years

Today is the last chance for organisations that want to own their own top-level internet domain names to register their interest with ICANN. If you want to run a dot-brand (.pepsi, .nike, .pampers) or a dot-city (.london, .paris, .rome) or a generic keyword gTLD (.music, .web, .blog), 29 March marks your final opportunity to get …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

The LHC of the Internet, like?

“It’s time measured from here in years but not a large number of years. It’s probably a small number of years but I can’t pin it down greater than that because we’re running an experiment.”

tired_mario.jpg

Unhappy

ICANN

Are ICANN trying single-handedly to pay off the US national debt? What with the .xxx scam, increasing .com prices and now this, it seems that their role as overseers is being redefined as overchargers.

parasites, the lot of 'em.........

Thumb Down

has .pointless been taken yet?

Anonymous Coward

AIUI it has a mirrored DNS to .gov.uk

Anonymous Coward

$5K + $180K is a lot of cash, maybe that's why they only need to hold this event every couple of years.

Silver badge
Unhappy

.dotdot

Too late?

Anyone applied for...

... .ellipsis?

Thumb Up

yakkowackoand.warner

Pedantic Point

Actually, it'd be 00.59 BST on the 30th.

However, I think it's irrelevant - and a waste of money for most. Actual domain names matter increasingly little I think (unless you are Pepsi, Nike, or the like). It's more about getting your brand high in the search results that counts.

Unhappy

.ispent185kilobuxandalligotwasthisstupidtld

Anonymous Coward

.internal and .local come to mind...

:-D

Bronze badge

.local, like example.com is excluded because it's a part of a standard.

Anonymous Coward

.world? EarthFemaleDog, please!

.world? Which one?

.mercury

.venus

.earth

.mars

.jupiter

.saturn

.neptune

ICANN has missed a big gravy-boat here - after all, you simply CANNOT allow somebody to create $YOURBRANDNAME.jupiter, now can you?

Sign up now, and we will throw in a 50% discount on all Kuiper belt objects, all asteroid belt objects, all Oort cloud objects, and all Trans-Neptunian objects (each sold separately).

Anonymous Coward

I Wish i Could Fly, right up to the ....

ICANN...

lolz, thats what comes to mind when i keep seeing ICANN mentioned...

I hate that Effin Duck!

Vic
Silver badge

I wonder if I'd miss anything...

...By putting all these new tlds into zone files on my DNS server.

NXDOMAIN from anything ICANN puts in for the next couple of years? I suspect it'd be an improvement...

Vic.

This topic is closed for new posts.