A group of University of California Santa Barbara researchers is touting a new technique to create multi-coloured lasers. The coherent light of lasers is created by pumping a suitable material with energy. The energy is absorbed by electrons in the material, which move briefly to a higher-energy state; when they shed that energy …
Biggest FEL in the world, 5-6 megawatts, count 'em, just the ticket for the local defense contractors that paid for it. The EE program at UCSB is rightly considered #1.
Whenever I see an FEL why do I think
Smith Purcell radiation?
Laser LEDs with >100% efficiency
Theo Mainman and Nick Holonyak couldn't have imagined that their laser and LED would, 60 years later, be achieving ambient-heat pumped optical power outputs greater than the electrical power inputs. (MIT Paper) Now just have to scale it up from 30 picowatts input! This should lead to great fridges in the future, which will nicely illuminate the house at the same time?
I usually post on el'Reg to promote debate and see what interesting viewpoints the other lurkers have on the topic of the day!
Screw optical communications...
What does this discovery mean for trippy light shows?
- Breaking news: Google exec veep in terrifying SKY PLUNGE DRAMA
- Geek's Guide to Britain Kingston's aviation empire: From industry firsts to Airfix heroes
- Analysis Happy 2nd birthday, Windows 8 and Surface: Anatomy of a disaster
- Google chief Larry Page gives Sundar Pichai keys to the kingdom
- Adobe spies on readers: EVERY DRM page turn leaked to base over SSL