A group of University of California Santa Barbara researchers is touting a new technique to create multi-coloured lasers. The coherent light of lasers is created by pumping a suitable material with energy. The energy is absorbed by electrons in the material, which move briefly to a higher-energy state; when they shed that energy …
Biggest FEL in the world, 5-6 megawatts, count 'em, just the ticket for the local defense contractors that paid for it. The EE program at UCSB is rightly considered #1.
Whenever I see an FEL why do I think
Smith Purcell radiation?
Laser LEDs with >100% efficiency
Theo Mainman and Nick Holonyak couldn't have imagined that their laser and LED would, 60 years later, be achieving ambient-heat pumped optical power outputs greater than the electrical power inputs. (MIT Paper) Now just have to scale it up from 30 picowatts input! This should lead to great fridges in the future, which will nicely illuminate the house at the same time?
I usually post on el'Reg to promote debate and see what interesting viewpoints the other lurkers have on the topic of the day!
Screw optical communications...
What does this discovery mean for trippy light shows?
- JLaw, Kate Upton exposed in celeb nude pics hack
- Google flushes out users of old browsers by serving up CLUNKY, AGED version of search
- China: You, Microsoft. Office-Windows 'compatibility'. You have 20 days to explain
- GCHQ protesters stick it to British spooks ... by drinking urine
- Twitter declines to deny JLaw tweet scrubdown after alleged iCloud NAKED PHOTOS hack