A group of University of California Santa Barbara researchers is touting a new technique to create multi-coloured lasers. The coherent light of lasers is created by pumping a suitable material with energy. The energy is absorbed by electrons in the material, which move briefly to a higher-energy state; when they shed that energy …
Biggest FEL in the world, 5-6 megawatts, count 'em, just the ticket for the local defense contractors that paid for it. The EE program at UCSB is rightly considered #1.
Whenever I see an FEL why do I think
Smith Purcell radiation?
Laser LEDs with >100% efficiency
Theo Mainman and Nick Holonyak couldn't have imagined that their laser and LED would, 60 years later, be achieving ambient-heat pumped optical power outputs greater than the electrical power inputs. (MIT Paper) Now just have to scale it up from 30 picowatts input! This should lead to great fridges in the future, which will nicely illuminate the house at the same time?
I usually post on el'Reg to promote debate and see what interesting viewpoints the other lurkers have on the topic of the day!
Screw optical communications...
What does this discovery mean for trippy light shows?
- Teardown Pop open this iPhone 6 and see where the magic oozes from ... oh hello again, Qualcomm
- Analysis Apple's warrant canary riddle: Cock-up, conspiracy, or anti-Google point-scoring
- Pics Facebook's Oculus unveils 360-degree VR head tracking Crescent Bay prototype
- Bargain basement iPhone shoppers BEWARE! eBay exposes users to phishing vuln
- Something for the Weekend, Sir? Oh God the RUBBER on my SHAFT has gone wrong and is STICKING to things