Feeds

back to article RAC's Bristol data centre breaks down

Motor insurance biz RAC suffered a day-long outage after something went kaput in its data centre in Bristol. The server farm is still titsup, an RAC spokesperson told The Reg, and the cause of the cock-up is unknown. The RAC website is working but services involving sales and member accounts have been affected by the downtime. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
dvd

These systems would be telling people to call back later, then - which is what I was told.

dvd

And .............. still being told the same today.

I wonder...

.... if they run Oracle RAC.

Silver badge

So, who do a breakdown service call when they have a breakdown?

Pop across the carpark....

To the ICM lot?

Anonymous Coward

advice

Has someone been reading the advice from the other day that if something goes down for 25 minutes, you're incompetent, but if you bring it back after 5 hours you're a hero?

I can see that sort of stunt going wrong, especially on a Friday!

Silver badge

Hmm, considering...

Considering policemen are now having license-plate scanners and seize cars where they don't have any records of their insurance fee being paid, a short glitch in the system, might cause those records to not be updated in time, leaving a lot of people stranded.

Interesting prospect.

Thumb Down

Re: Hmm, considering...

Plod uses MID (Motor Insurers Database), which can take up to 7 days (14 for comercial and fleet policies) to be updated from individual insurers, as Plod requires "reasonable grounds" for ticketing/further actions/seizure he/she can't rely solely on MID & so they are supposed to check directly with the insurer before proceeding. If Plod is unable to cofirm with the insurer for technical reasons, the most they can do is issue a "Producer" notice requring you to prove your insurance within 7 days, that is unless of course there are other contributory factors - i.e. you are carrying 8 passengers in a Mini whilst being 5 times over the blood alcohol limit and doing 85 mph in a 30 zone!

Silver badge
Devil

I'm not sure what Mini would do 85mph with eight passengers in it. No "real" Mini could manage it,* and I doubt the new fake Mini could, either (but then, I haven't driven one).

*Many years ago, I was one of eight people in a Mini 1000 going between pub and friend's house. It could barely manage 30mph, and we had to avoid anything but the slightest upward incline! Six people in a (real) Fiat 500 offered an equally speedless journey ...

Anonymous Coward

I have managed 13 in a reliant robin, but it wasn't the fastest, and turning a corner with all that weight on the back wheels was hellish.

Anonymous Coward

Server support

Done by HP still TTBOMK, need I say more, anonymous for obvious reasons.

This topic is closed for new posts.