back to article Google patents mobile ads that sense noise, temp, light

Google wants to deliver adverts based on the environment around people, as well as their behavioural profile, and has filed for a patent on the concept. The premise of US patent 8,138,930 is that a phone, or other device, can detect a lot more than the current location of the user, it often knows the local temperature as well …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward 15
    Joke

We've detected

that you are in a hotel room late at night, with a woman who is not your wife, the atmosphere is hot and steamy, yet you are flaccid. Would you like to buy ch34p3r \/1@grA?

2. Captain Hogwash
    WTF?

What are they really up to?

They can get your location by cell triangulation or GPS and hit publicly available online weather stations for current conditions at that location. Then they can serve ads based on this data. What seems to be the most obvious thing they can determine about your local conditions via temperature and light sensors on the phone itself is whether or not the phone is in your pocket. I'm sure there will be some evil intent but at the moment I just can't see what it is.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What are they really up to?

Indeed.

It seems the "it's so we can sell more ads" excuse, is just that - an excuse.

Maybe it's just a way to further progress what people will allow, for the next step. (Not sure what it'll be, but you know it's gonna be bad)

3. ratfox
    WTF?

"I'm sure there will be some evil intent but at the moment I just can't see what it is."

I mean, it can't be that they just want to make more money selling ads, right? That wouldn't be evil enough.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The problem is

"Ambient noise" also includes any calls you might be doing or conversations you might be having.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ok

You can tell Blyk my address and age, but they'll have to provide the sex because I don't have any to spare.

6. Wile E. Veteran
    Mushroom

Bye-bye Android

As soon as my contract obligation runs out I'm going to dump my Android phone in favor of a cheap "feature phone."

FSCK YOU, Google.

Not that I pay any attention to adverts anyway but I really resent being tracked by anyone who doesn't have a court order to look into my dull, uninteresting life.

7. Turtle

Semantical Quibble.

"Google, however, is in the advertising business and busy applying some of the best minds of a generation to the problem of how to make us click on more ads"

One can argue whether a mind that occupies itself with the problem of how to make us click on more ads is actually a good mind, or merely a technically-skilled-in-certain-areas-but-otherwise-contemptible mind.

8. Ian Michael Gumby
    Devil

Prior Art

sorry this is pretty obvious and there are sci fi stories that talk about this concept.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like