Feeds

back to article August DTV700B portable Freeview TV and DVR

The portable screen market is now dominated by compact DVD players, smartphones and tablets, so if you want a teeny telly for watching live programmes on the go, there isn’t a massive choice. One contender is the DTV700B, a newly upgraded version of August’s low-cost 7in portable digital TV. August DTV700B portable Freeview TV …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

instruction booklet

'To ensure a clear picture park caravan within 2 feet of any transmitter tower, otherwise clear picture cannot be guaranteed.'

Red button services

Aren't they being a bit cheeky selling it as "Freeview" without red button services working? I remember a few people managed to get some comeback when the 4TV EPG went tits-up, because some of the units sold were advertised as "Freeview" but lacked Freeview EPG support. Surely red button services would come under the same principle?

Silver badge
Thumb Up

the all-too-common feature of not being very good.

See, that's what reviews should be like.

Needs DVB-T2 lite

A good idea but it's a bit ahead of it's time.

If DVB-T2 lite services are ever launched then this sort of thing would be perfect.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/researchanddevelopment/2011/07/dvb-t2-lite-profile-tech-stand.shtml

Anonymous Coward

Sounds rubbish

Enough said.

MJI
Silver badge
Thumb Up

Join the Caravan Club

And use this site

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/caravanclubapps/applications/uk-caravan-sites-and-parks/SiteDetails.aspx?csid=21863

But then that screen is too small.

This post has been deleted by its author

Silver badge

Re: Good for a doorstop

I see your point completely. The Yellow Pages also makes a great doorstop, and is delivered free to my door.

This post has been deleted by its author

Silver badge
Alert

It's not Freeview. They can be sued for that.

It's only generic MPEG2 DVB-T

It's Obsolete. No MPEG4 or DVB-T2 or DVB-T2-lite

N.I. at end of 2012 becomes 1st place in UK for MPEG4 SD (on DVB-T2 Mini-mux).

Ireland and other countries already use MPEG4 not just for HD for SD (no MPEG2 at all on DVB-T in Ireland).

No MHEG5, so apart from lack of Certification, it can't even receive all Freeview Services.

You can't call it Freeview or Saorview unless it has the Certification/Licence.

Cheap generic & obsolete. Also UK (& especially Ireland) need more than a whip in majority of locations. They wouldn't even be allowed to sell it in France.

Irish and UK Free to Air TV

Silver badge
Flame

480 lines is stupid

Ironic it's USA/Japan SD resolution (480 visible lines) rather than European/UK SD (576 visible lines) and yet will not work at all in Japan or USA.

This kind of US/Japan market display with a cobbled in generic DVB-T tuner for Aus/NZ and Europe has been about for ages. They are junk. Now obsolete junk.

Meh

Request.

When something is "not very good" (and I agree that this sounds "not very good") is it possible to provide links to alternatives that are less "not very good"? Thanks.

This topic is closed for new posts.