Feeds

back to article Half of Apple fanbois would bank with the iPad titan

One in 10 punters polled in the US and UK admitted they would bank with Apple if the iPad maker decided to move into the money sector. Among Apple product owners, 43 per cent of those quizzed would consider dumping their current banks for the iPhone biz. Two thirds of the 5,000 surveyed fanbois said they'd switch to a notional …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Bronze badge
Stop

O.... k....

Another diversification from the core modus operandi and in 10 years time Apple becomes what Microsoft is now.

I.e. lost.

Re: O.... k....

Possibly. Problem is they have a LOT of money and need to do something with it that isn't completely stupid. (and I don't know what banking would qualify as for Apple... Probably would take 10 years to find out if it was brilliant or stupid)

Silver badge
Devil

Read the article again.

"David Rankin, boss of the research consultancy behind the study KAE, believes banking is an obvious next step for the computer makers:"

(David Rankin - who he? - ed)

Does anyone at Apple believe this? Has anyone at Apple even considered this? If so, has it even been mooted?

I'm sure that, knowing Apple's very high public profile, a research consultancy would not implement some totally spurious survey just to wallow in the resulting publicity...

Childcatcher

No because it's so obviously stupid.

43% of Apple fanbois would also buy an Apple car and fly Apple Air and use an Apple fridge and microwave. How could Apple possibly resist?

Great, what?

Apple want to spend their money they can pay dividends, buy back shares, give their employees big bonuses, build fabs of their own.. Buy Intel..

Truth is Apple isn't actually that rich or big a company. It would be far easier to ask why Boeing wouldn't. Well, because it's stupid.

Holmes

Besides Apple has competition issues to deal with already, why would you go out your way to make them worse by splurging across every sector you can find when it isn't slightly connected to your core business?

Err... well, Boeing does have their own bank. (Well, sort of, not really, but, yes. :) It's not a bank, it's an employee credit union: BECU.

Similarly, one of the IKEA related companies IKANO Group, owned by Ingvar Kamprad and family, has a bank: IKANO Bank. There are many other examples.

Mostly, they server a specific user group or support a particular organisation.

In the case of Apple and this survey, the implication from the results is that it would be a good idea applying the Apple brand and the brand's positive halo effect, to a new venture. In the survey example, banking. But I think it could be applicable to other markets or industries, too.

I mean, Apple makes mobile phones?! C'mon, when they were busy selling Apple ii and the first Macintoshes, who'd of thought they'd make mp3 players and phones..?

Headmaster

" I mean, Apple makes mobile phones?! C'mon,whentheywerebusyselling Apple ii and the first Macintoshes, who'd of thought they'd make mp3 players and phones..?"

Considering that mp3s didn't exist then, let alone portable players and mobile phones, I'd have a wild stab at 'none'.

That aside - It's "who'd HAVE thought"!!

For example, who'd have thought that Compaq (also a personal computer manufacturer) would develop the world's first hard disk based portable digital music player? (3 years before Apple released the IPod by the way)

Apple will slowly migrate to other, tangental businesses. They started in computers, then expanded into MP3 players and music sales, phones, application sales and now look like they may take a serious stab at TV. Thing is, banking is so far removed (except for people paying for their stuff) that I think it would be too big a leap to make sense at this time. As a stockholder, I'd rather see the company offer huge dividends (after putting a fortune into R&D), if they have too much incoming money to know what to do with and "enough" in the bank already (like they have now).

Are you insinuating that your takeaway from the article is that Apple is going to open a bank?

Paris Hilton

30%

Until you realise that Apple would want its 30% cut of anything you transferred into the bank. :)

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Re: 30%

or out of. The Apple way is to get you coming and going.

HMB

Not that big a deal.

Thumb Up

Not rising to *that* troll.

They'd be WAAAAAY better than @%$!` Paypal, maybe even see them off entirely, well, one can hope.

Paypal do not take 30% of everything, is that what you're sugesting?

Anonymous Coward

PayPal shut me out of my account, and never replied to my attempts to contact them. So essentially, they took 100% of everything.

Silver badge
Devil

That is exactly why they will never be a bank. They cannot take the same obscene cut on banking as on their other stuff.

Silver badge

Gee Voland, maybe you should go talk to Tesco et all about their Obscene cut.

if anything, since developers get 70% of the retail price (try getting that anywhere else) wouldnt an iBank give you something like 70% of the Bank of England rate on your savings.

But of course, you lot would still winge about the stolen 30%....

MIght be a good idea really

They've got a lot of money, and need to diversify. This isn't the worst idea I've heard.

Anonymous Coward

MOney

Would become obsolete, iphones for payment using iterminals. In fact as they grow there will be a new currency, the icoin, within 3 years countries will fight to become part of it.

Goodbye to $,¥,€,£...... Hello icoin.

Silver badge
Coat

Re: icoin

Good idea. They could patent the fact that iCoins had rounded corners too.

Joke

Re: MOney

and if the iterminal doesn't accept payment, "maybe you're holding it wrong"

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Facepalm

Re: MOney

I'm actually killing myself right now.

Thumb Down

Take 30% of all deposits, and take another 30% of every payment to pay the iCreditCard - with an interest rate to only attract the most tunnel-visioned of all fanbois. Id' rather poke my eyes out with an old Santander biro.

Silver badge
FAIL

Enough with the 30% crap please

Okay, you think you're funny, we get it. Meanwhile iStore products give a greater percentage of the sales price to the developer than almost any other retail route.

Based on this, the logical presumption would be a higher interest rate at the iBank.

g e
Silver badge

Domain/trademark payday opportunity for someone?

Registrant:

Credentrust Software Inc.

3151 Airway Avenue

Building G003

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

US

Domain Name: IBANK.COM

Anonymous Coward

Re: Domain/trademark payday opportunity for someone?

iPaid? or for our fave comentard Barry apple

http://www.orangepippin.com/apples/barry - Medium to large fruit with an intense solid dark red skin. Lasts 3 months in storage.

or Belmac - a very good flavoured apple type!

of for the real fan - http://www.orangepippin.com/apples/bright-future

I wouldn't bank with 'em. I wouldn't bank with any of 'em if I was given a choice.

WTF?

If Apple jumped off a cliff...?

Silver badge

If Apple jumped off a cliff...?

How long do you think the queue would be for the iJump ?

Anonymous Coward

What if you do? So the rest of us don't have to listen to your pointless comments like this that nothing of value to the conversation?

Mushroom

Adding more validity to the old phrase 'A fool & his money...'

Anonymous Coward

F*ck that

What happens when you withdraw cash from an Apple ATM and find out that the banknotes are a 'proprietary format' that are only accepted in Apple stores?

Silver badge
Joke

@Stike

Nah, they'll also be accepted in other stores. IF you paid your usage license fee to Apple which allows you to use their protected-by-license currency.

Safety first!

Re: F*ck that

At least the banknotes would have lovely rounded corners.

Silver badge

Either finance or defense - drugs and pr0n markets just too small

I've heard it said that the big American car manufacturers eventually became sellers of financial products (hire purchase etc) with an attached car factory. Ho hum.

During the recent 'Apple Dividends' story I was thinking of where else the company could go to continue their expansion. Having not considered finance, the only big-enough sector that I could come up with was 'defence'.

A la Samsung Techwin ( Youtube: 'Samsung Techwin Defense Program' for classic Troy McClur-style voice-over)

Re: Either finance or defense - drugs and pr0n markets just too small

I believe Porsche have long made more money from financial dealings than from selling cars.

Silver badge
Happy

Re: Either finance or defense - drugs and pr0n markets just too small

Finance and defense may be too small... Any medium sized countries up for sale? Looking at you, Greece

This post has been deleted by its author

Anonymous Coward

Re: Misleading headline

Yes but this is El Reg, they'll put an apple story up, so they get loads of page hits from the same old commentards who seem to enjoy posting the same old apple jokes everyday.

It's a measure of their collective mentality that they never get bored of it.

FAIL

Re: "It's a measure of their collective mentality that they never get bored of it."

Says the serial AC that never misses a trick to link 'El Reg' + 'Apple' + 'page hits'...

So what's your excuse?

Anonymous Coward

Re: "It's a measure of their collective mentality that they never get bored of it."

Getting one of the worst offenders to bite?

Just as purile and stupid

Anonymous Coward

"Getting one of the worst offenders to bite?"

Fair enough, whatever floats your boat my anonymous friend.

This post has been deleted by its author

Or..

...... have an Android bank that never gives you your money.

And has hundreds of branches that are all incompatible with each other and are all quite shite and nowhere near as good as the real banks.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Or..

where some branches will update your balance straight away, some balances will be updated after others or some balances will not updated at all with out changing accounts...

Silver badge
FAIL

This is stupid

I don't care if its Apple or Microsoft (which mobile device I happen to use & enjoy) or others such as Nokia, Motorola and/or Google... Trusting such a company to keep your money is dumb and utterly stupid.

Because at first these are IT companies, whereas banks usually need to meet totally different requirements. For example; under Dutch law our banks are - required - to join a mutual funds which ensures that the bank customers won't lose their money should the bank for whatever reason suddenly go bankrupt.

DO you really think IT companies would even bother to setup such safety nets? Worse; that governments can actually enforce them to setup something similar if they do insist on starting "bank like" services ? I have some very serious doubts there.

Either take your money to a bank or keep it in an old sock. Either way you'll be better off than trusting an (IT / non-financial) company to hold your money.

Silver badge

Re: This is stupid

Idiot. If a company starts a bank it has to comply with the rules of behaviour of a bank, doing exactly what you stated - BY LAW

Re: This is stupid

Of course they would do that - you just said - if you want to be a bank then that's what you have to do. Doh!

One Step Beyond

Goodbye Dollar, Pound and Euro. Get ready for the new global currency - the Apple.

Re: One Step Beyond

the iDollar

Coat

Inevtiable rounded corners comment

Move into banking, sue all other banks because their debit and credit cards have rounded corners.

On me way already...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.