Feeds

back to article Man FLIES with Android-powered homemade bird wings

A Dutch bloke has taken to the air by flapping his arms, proving that humans can fly with the right technology, plenty of time and friends to help with the build. Jarno Smeets flew using wings of his own design, built over the course of a year, and managed to spend a decent minute in the air – longer than the Wright Brothers …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

JDX
Gold badge

How lovely.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Bloody Dutchies...

...always smoking something...

Seriously impressive though, even with augmentation.

Thumb Up

Top Flying!

How seriously cool is that!

Unhappy

Re: Top Flying!

Hmmmmm, have I been duped then? Looks likely... :-(

Silver badge
Coat

Re: Top Flying!

If you understand Dutch or read the subtitles you will note it was a "Fücking marvellous moment"

Anonymous Coward

Danger Will Robinson!

There's something not quite right here, my spider sense is tingling. Something looks wrong in that video, which does make me wonder.

I don't have time to de-construct it right now, because I have some equally barking paid w**k to do (and shouldn't be posting, I suppose), but I am sure others will do the job more than adequately. Am I being cynical?

Bronze badge

Can you tell...

...from the pixels??

Trollface

Re: Danger Will Robinson!

Are you cynical? No, you are trolling and you know you are trolling.

In fact, there is so much trolling regarding this story, that it's great to see!

Jealous, I guess?

this is just bloody amazing

TRT
Silver badge

Needs...

catapult launch assistance. But watch out for that flimsy looking building housing pigs.

Anonymous Coward

Typical...

You've just washed and polished your car when some bloody birdman does a poop on it.

Bronze badge

Just because I can see it...

...doesn't mean I have to believe it.

I think this is bollocks. :)

This post has been deleted by its author

Silver badge
Thumb Down

Fake

I call "fake".

Silver badge

Frack me!

Somehow listening to Procol's "Ramblin On" will never feel the same again...

Anonymous Coward

Cool...

so, his grandpa sketched the Wii controllers?

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Nice landing

Alien

hmmmmm

Does research happen before articles are written?

http://thenextweb.com/insider/2012/03/21/human-birdwings-and-beyond-5-of-the-latest-hoaxes-the-web-has-to-offer/

Trollface

Re: hmmmmm

I don't think "checking other websites" is considered research.

Bronze badge
Happy

Re: hmmmmm

That depends.

I'm sure that not checking other websites definitely can't be considered research.

Joke

Couldn't have been an android. I didn't see a pop-up ad halfway through.

Silver badge
Happy

Not an iThing-

His wings would have melted...

Go

Re: Not an iThing-

iCarus?

Something wrong with that TBH

I will believe it when I see it in person

You're a cynical bunch

If it is a fake then it's a pretty elaborate one. He's been featured in the German FT, got videos, blogs etc going back over 6 months and really spent a lot of time creating content and documentation.

Ru
Silver badge
Facepalm

Suspicious Physics sense... tingling!

One might consider if it were that easy to get airborne with something you could build cheaply and carry on your back, light aircraft travel would be a wee bit cheaper.

Ever see all the stuff you need to get a microlight in the air? Not to mention the amount of support required to keep the wing shape. Guess I'll still have to wait a year or two for my Blue Mars style wingsuit.

Bronze badge
Happy

Might expect a call.

I think this man might soon get a call from Ryanair.

After all if they can reduce the size of the fuel bill you can bet that they WILL take a look at this.

Probably need a holiday to get over the flight though.

Thumb Up

amazing

what the human spirit and human ingenuity can accomplsih. nicely done, dutch persons!

Bronze badge
Headmaster

How could you not notice those pixels?

To be fair, I have seen a lot of 'shops in my time but there are schoolboy errors in this viral, they stand out like quad tracks in the grass.

jai
Silver badge

friend of mine also agrees that it's a fake:

"On the 13/14 video of his you can see around 1.30 there is a sun design on the right hand wing, then the camera looks down, then looks up again. The sun design has a large dot that wasn't there before. Very clear and obvious evidence of digital manipulation on at least one of the videos for sure."

Silver badge
Meh

Hmmmmm

Colour me skeptical, but I'd be happy to be wrong.

...and so runs the legend of the

Flying Dutchman!

Holmes

Viral video nonsense sponsored by Philips.

Yes that right folks- its CGI augmented with a guy that has a fake facebook profile.

This should help those who think its real.

http://i39.tinypic.com/214s2z7.jpg

Plus he's been uploading videos for over a year on this project and his first one was titled 1 of 14.

How did he know he was going to make 14 videos before his first successful flight unless he had a friggin time machine.

Bronze badge
Facepalm

Giveaway for me

is how the wing panels are flopping around randomly during the 'flaps' and at the end when it's supposed to be gliding. Those wings are doing no lifting whatsoever. Anyone's who's familiar with a sailing boat or a hang-glider should spot that a mile off. But yes, the lack of actual batteries, motors and the feeble flapping rate is a big clue from the off.

This post has been deleted by its author

Anonymous Coward

Fake but it doesn't have to be...

Jem Stansfield from BBC's Bang Goes The Theory is Making a peddle powered aircraft as I type.. you'll just have to wait for the end of series episode.

Headmaster

Re: Fake but it doesn't have to be...

Give that man a meddle!

Oh yes it does. Flapping simply doesn't scale up. Mute swans are pushing the limits of self-powered takeoff (anyone who's seen them getting airborne can testify to that), and they're only a quarter the weight of a human. The largest (now-extinct) bird ever was about the weight of a human, but it almost certainly couldn't take off under its own power alone - it needed a good strong headwind and/or a nice slope.

BTW, the Gossamer Condor is 35 years old this year. Nice to hear that Jem is having a crack at doing this again, but it's really not a new trick. And it demonstrates that if you want to do a human-powered aircraft, the only muscles with the necessary oomph are your legs

They even flew one across the English Channel (Gossamer Albatross, I think?) - thought that may have been a two-person-powered thingy - need to look it up

Anonymous Coward

Let's hope it's better than the pedal powered jetski (which sank) and the Pykrete boat (which sank).

If it wasn't for those medalsome kids at ElReg, he would of gotten away with it too ;-)

Yes, on porpoise.

Silver badge
Joke

As Pedro told Captain Jim, "I once made a raft out of dead monkeys. It sank."

Anonymous Coward

Graham Take a look at this:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/09/23/pedalo/

Which doesn't take off under its own power. Which uses leg power. Which has *huge* wings. And the surface of the wings is properly taut (not flapping loose).

Oh, and which has a proper structural assembly of ribs inside the wings, as required to stop it folding up when it takes the load. Simply bolting ribs onto a windsurfer spar is *not* going to work.

Bronze badge
Facepalm

clearly bollocks

Surely El Reg you have just posted this story a week early ? I refuse to believe my El Reg is so gullable...

I fly a paramotor: my wing is 29m2. that is about 6 or 7 times the size of these wings.. and I need a 20hp engine with a 1.3m long propeller hanging from my back rotating at 400mph to get off the ground...

It's a bit of fun I suppose, but I do get depressed with stuff like this - that peoples grasp of science seems to terribly basic as to think this is real.

Gullable?

you mean Gullible.

You do realise of course that the word "gullible" is'nt actually in any dictionary !

Silver badge
Headmaster

Re: Gullable?

page 478, Concise Oxford Dictionary, 6th Edition (and showing its age)

Gullable, I agree is not in that dictionary, though it may be in Ultra-Complete Maximegalon Dictionary of Every Language Ever"

Re: Gullable?

LOL,

There's always one !

Silver badge
FAIL

Re: clearly bollocks

Yup. I fly a paraglider, and while I can hop on the flat, with a head wind, I for sure can't take off without a slope or a tow line.

And further, it's obvious that there's neither load nor aerodynamic effects on those wings.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.