back to article Google: No SEO boost from vanity top-level domain grab

Google has denied that companies will be able to get a search engine ranking boost by obtaining new vanity top-level domain names from ICANN. The company's webspam guru, Matt Cutts, said this week that organisations "shouldn't register a TLD in the mistaken belief that you'll get some sort of boost in search engine rankings." …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Surprised? Really?

Subdomains never had any impact on ranking. Neither did domain extensions (at least not in terms of what the characters in them might refer to). And obviously a registrar is going to try and convince us nitwit buyers otherwise.

Silver badge
Trollface

Nonsense

Of course a URL ending in .snakeoil wil boost your rankings! Apply here to buy one at really reasonable rates!

This post has been deleted by its author

Angel

Hilarious!

"Kinderis, in response, suggested that Cutts may not have considered his argument in its entirety and said he stood by his opinion."

I would wager that the guy from Google knows a bit more about Google than the guy trying to drum up some rich and foolish client business.

Here that wrenching metal sound? That's the sound of your marketing strategy sinking...

Any Potential Boost Remains to be Seen

Obviously the engineers at Google are the only ones who can say with any certainty how, or even whether, the search engine’s algorithms will adapt to new gTLDs in the future. Considering the investment that new gTLDs require, I think there are many applicants that very much want to believe that new gTLDs will automatically rank better than .COM or other domain names that contain preexisting extensions. It will only make sense to begin trying to answer that question when more information becomes available once new gTLDs come to market.

If new gTLD domains stand a chance of ranking well in comparison to .COM and other preexisting domain names, that chance will depend on how those new gTLD domains are used. Google and other search engines aim to deliver the most relevant query results; if Internet users overwhelmingly begin navigating to and trusting .BRAND and other new domain names, for example, because those domains become more authoritative destinations for the brand- and category-related content that consumers are seeking, then we could see search engines like Google and Bing, to a lesser extent, ranking them well in organic search results. But as Mr. Cutts points out, the rumored shift in search rankings will not be automatic, and it is certainly not guaranteed.

- Josh Bourne, Managing Partner, FairWinds Partners

Re: Any Potential Boost Remains to be Seen

"Google and other search engines aim to deliver the most relevant query results..."

...that produce top $ for Google. Always remember that. Even you, Domain Name Solution Guy -- http://www.fairwindspartners.com/.

There's nothing wrong with that, but remember Google is an ad broker (AKA professional sophist) that started out as a really good search engine, and is still pretending to be one.

Silver badge

.brand TLD's

I don't know about the rest of you but i quite often won't open a link because it has a TLD i don't recognise (or is from a country favoured by malware peddlers).

If i've heard of your company i'll visit your .com, if i haven't heard of you there is no way in hell i'm going to visit your .brand address.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums