Feeds

back to article China's police ignore real name rules ... so far

Users of China’s hugely popular social media platforms must now register with their real-names if they want to be granted posting rights after a strict new government ruling came into force on Friday night, although reports suggest that the rules have yet to be enforced across the board. The new system has been rolled out …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Meh

I guess it means that people will think twice about what they post. They will not have the problems of Internet trolls or cyber bullying. That is the only advantage I can think of. However, it does curb freedom which includes the ability of saying what is really happening that the Chinese government may find embarrassing and thus will want to be silenced.

There are advantages and disadvantages to this system.

Silver badge

Er.......

They already have the ultimate in cyber bullying, by some very big trolls.

Flame

Damn Commies

"They will not have the problems of Internet trolls or cyber bullying."

If the US/UK/OZ/CAN had passed a law like this the boards would be exploding right now with commentards ranting (rightly so) about the downfall of civilization and the erosion of liberties.

When China does it, it is balanced as a way to keep 'cyber bullying' down.

FAIL

I'm in China, with an account

Despite the rumours to the contrary, I'm a "foreigner" in China and I still have a functioning weibo account. Strange. but true.

They will not have the problems of Internet trolls or cyber bullying. -> advantage? Is cyber bullying really that much of an issue outside of isolated cases that make excellent tabloid fodder? And internet trolls are part of the internet. It makes it, not breaks it. Half the commentards would have nothing to do if there were no trolls to respond to.

This is just plain bad in my view.

Anonymous Coward

China takes the long view

It wasn't built in a day. It won't change in a day. It will get around to it soon enough, though.

Will it make everything better for the people? Stop "cyberbullying"? Don't be silly. The fact that you can point the police to your misbehaving neighbour doesn't mean they'll put him out of your misery right quick. Why would this be any different just because the internet is involved?

If anything, pinning people to their "real name" or rather legal identity, for which read citizen number, causes an incentive to abuse someone else's, implicating more innocent people in the process, causing a bigger crime with harder to fix damage. The reasons might be pragmatic, but the results are not automatically practical. It at worst catches mainly innocents (and maybe some really stupid perps) and as such is yet more worse-than-useless snake oil.

Besides, they're not doing this for your benefit. They're doing it for the benefit of the state, so it can better effect the judgement it passes on whatever utterances it sees coming from its people. It means more exposure to the whims of faceless bureaucrats. Seeing what happens if you so much as post one ill-conceived tweet in Blighty, I don't think any "protection from cyberbullying" would be worth that.

I am so glad I live in the UK, a country dedicated to your freedoms and rights and does not have archaic laws based on censorship and...

oh wait....

This topic is closed for new posts.