back to article Eddie Murphy heading for worst movie ever glory

Eddie Murphy looks a dead cert for the Razzies and possibly the worst movie ever award as critics queue up to give his A Thousand Words a righteous shoeing. The movie currently rates 0% on Rotten Tomatoes "Tomatometer", based on 42 reviews. The website summarises the plot thus: Eddie Murphy is Jack McCall, a fast-talking …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The last decent film he made was Beverly Hills Cop and that was nearly 30 years ago in 1984.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Eddie Murphy Rule

There is a very simple rule about how good an Eddie Murphy film is: How many times does he say "Getthefuckoutahere"? It's directly proportional to quality of the film.

2. Ian Michael Gumby
      IT Angle

Wrong...

He was the voice of Donkey in the Shrek series.

Which goes to the point of the author. A silent Eddie Murphy just isn't funny.

1. Graham Marsden
        Thumb Down

Re: Wrong...

@He was the voice of Donkey in the Shrek series.

And I always wondered why Shrek didn't just punch him over the horizon...

2. Audrey S. Thackeray

I like Hudson Hawk

And I thought Daredevil was on a par with other comic book adaptations.

So who knows, this one might be more Star Wars than Jar Jar for me.

I imagine it will be on telly soon so I might get to find out.

1. DrXym

Re: I like Hudson Hawk

I like Daredevil too. It's not remotely close to being greatest superhero flick but it's not awful either. It's borderline watchable.

2. mark 63 Silver badge
      Headmaster

Re: I like Hudson Hawk

I like Hudson Hawk too.

A much underapreciated film. those who dont like it mostly havent seen it and are going off its poor box office results.

Why drag this much misaligned film out your ass now to be tarred and humiliated merely by being in the same discussion as "the complete crap eddie murphy has produced since beverly hills cop2"

3. Thomas 4

Oh, if we're looking for worst films ever

I would like to put forward my two nominations:

Never Been Kissed starring Drew Barrymore. I'm not overly keen on romantic films at the best of times but this was the most god-awful and unfunny piece of crap I have ever seen.

Alternatively, M Night Shyalaman's entire body of work. Sixth Sense was utterly predictable and Haley Joel Osmont got on my tits, Unbreakable....well it was ok I guess. The Village dragged on without going anywhere and don't even get me started on The Happening.

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
      Headmaster

Re: Oh, if we're looking for worst films ever

The "Send M Night Shyalaman Back to Film School" fundraising website is still going, but they've only raised a bit over $700 so far - please give generously before he strikes again: http://mnightschool.org/

2. DrXym

I thought Unbreakable was a decent movie except the abrupt ending. After that Shyalaman got stuck in a rut of providing "twist" endings and that was that.

1. Keep Refrigerated
        Holmes

Unbreakable was great but the ending was slightly anti-climatic, if a good twist. DVD extras and cut-scenes make up for it though.

3. Andrew Moore

I watched The Crappening on TV a couple of weeks ago. I wish I hadn't. I put M Shyte Nyalaman in the same box of one-hit wonders which includes George Lucas and the Wackovski Brothers.

1. Arrrggghh-otron

Clearly none of you have seen Doomsday 2012...

Often seen on sale in Tescos (STILL?!?) and bought buy unsuspecting bargain bin browsers who aren't paying attention and think this is 2012...

Have a look at the comments on imdb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1132130/reviews)

1. Thomas 4

@Arrrggghh

I take it we're not talking about Neil Marshall (Of Dog Soldiers and Descent)'s "Doomsday" right? Because I quite liked that one.

1. Arrrggghh-otron

Re: @Arrrggghh

No. "Doomsday", that's the one where the Scots get quarantined and go all Mad Max right? That film is a master piece in comparison to "Doomsday 2012"

2. Ian Michael Gumby
          Joke

Geez please don't spoil the plot for me! I was planning on watching it on 12/23/2012 ...

4. Jim 59

Artificial Intelligence.

1. ravenviz Silver badge
        FAIL

Suckerpunch.

I walked out of the cinema.

1. ravenviz Silver badge
          Facepalm

Oh, and Van Helsing.

1. tfewster
            Big Brother

Van Helsing was tongue-in-cheek fun. And it had Kate Beckinsale in it.

IMO, no way in the "worst" category.

2. Greg J Preece

@Jim - Re: Oh, if we're looking for worst films ever

AI was pretty bad. It wasn't the worst thing I'd seen...and then the ending happened. What...the...fuck.

3. Shaun 2

Agreed - If I ever meet Speilberg, I'm taking my three hours back.

4. Dick Emery

I loooooove that movie. I hated it on the first viewing but the more I watch it the more I realize how bloody good it really is! Poor Teddy! :(

4. Captain Hogwash
    Thumb Up

Plan 9 From Outer Space

is a "so bad, it's good" classic.

1. CD001

Re: Plan 9 From Outer Space

Like me, you must have an interest in the future as that's where we'll be spending the rest of our lives ;)

(apologies for the poor paraphrasing - but hey!)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Or Troll 2

Could this movie cross the so bad it's good again barrier?

I actually have copies of Battlefield Earth, the remake of the Wickerman, Plan 9, The Star Wars Christmas Special, and The Room (although I've only watched those last two once). All are even better with Rifftrax.

-Anonymous of course..

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Its Murphy

His star died long ago in the '80s. Every thing he stars in qualifies as a "Worst Film" . He makes KISS In The Attack Of The Phantoms look like Shakespeare.

1. DrXym

Re: Its Murphy

Bowfinger was great and Shrek 1/2/3/4 of course. But generally speaking his mug should serve as a warning that a movie is going to stink. He should go on his hands and knees to someone like Tarantino and beg for a decent acting part to revitalise his career.

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Bowfinger was great because of Steve Martin. I have to concede that Murphy wasn't bad in it, although all he really had to do was the overpaid movie star / crazy guy / gormless brother bit.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Actually the Kiss film title was "Phantom of the Park".

AC, too embarassing to admit I have the video (never released on DVD to my knowledge)

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Actually the film title was "Phantom of the Park".

AC, too embarassing to admit I have the video (never released on DVD to my knowledge)

6. HP Cynic

Not the worst.

Troll 2

That is all.

1. Anonymous Coward 15
      Trollface

Re: Not the worst.

Maybe you just got, erm... trolled?

2. CD001

oh ... my ... god

I didn't even realise they'd made a sequel...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It's not a sequel

Not an official one at least. IIRC, it was supposed to be called Goblins but the distribution company changed the name to capitalize off the "success" of Troll - despite having no rights to do so and the films being completely unrelated.

3. Alan Edwards
      Happy

Not seen that one (Troll 2), but surely it doesn't beat Lake Placid 2 to the title?

Mega Python vs. Gatoroid must also be in the running, but that was only really made to have Debbie Gibson and Tiffany fight each other so maybe doesn't count.

1. WFW

Clearly you are all wrong. The worst movie? The Trial of Billy Jack. A pretentious and lame sequal to a lame original. A friend of mine told others to go see it because he knew they would never otherwise believe how bad it was.

1. Criminny Rickets
          Devil

I actually liked The Trial of Billy Jack when it first came out, even if I was just a kid at the time.

7. dotdavid
    Thumb Up

Pearl Harbor Sucked...

...but not as much as Ghost Rider. At least with Peal Harbor there was little chance of a sequel.

1. Tony S
      Trollface

Re: Pearl Harbor Sucked...

"At least with Peal Harbor there was little chance of a sequel."

You know that you have just thrown down the gauntlet to the suits in Hollywood right?

Quite frankly, with the way that they have been re-making, re-imaging & creating sequels by the bucket load, I'd actually give fair odds for a re-make of Pearl Harbor within the next 5 years.

1. mark 63 Silver badge
        Flame

Re: Pearl Harbor sequel

the sequel came with it - for some reason the movie didnt end with the attack on pearl harbour.

It was at that point in the film when i was informed i was stuck in the cinema for a further hour and a bit while the "story" dragged on until finally USA got a bit of revenge by managing to bomb japan.

and then the pubs were shut.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Pearl Harbor did indeed suck...

..but wow, have you seen Red Tails yet? It sucked so hard, my ears popped.

3. Andrew Moore

I think the song in Team America nailed just how much it sucked.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> At least with Peal Harbor there was little chance of a sequel.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0302909/

I stared at that in numb disbelief for a full thirty seconds before twigging what was going on, and this one isn't a joke at all:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1640571/

1. Alan Edwards
        Happy

> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1640571/

If you want a laugh, have a look at the 'Goofs' for that one.

1. oldredlion
          Happy

"Amy tries to stop her friends wound bleeding by sellotaping a credit card over it. "

That is only the second goof, and it sounds hilarious. I want to see it...

5. Armando 123
      Joke

The worst part was how Hollywood caved to the Japanese being offended that they did indeed attack without provocation. I thought the report of the giant rubber lizard attacking Honolulu was a bit too much.

6. xerocred

"...At least with Peal Harbor there was little chance of a sequel."

I'm in tears laughing at this...

8. DrXym

Poor old Eddie

Eddie Murphy has been in some fine comedies and is a good actor when challenged by a good director and script. But he seems to have trouble telling a good script apart from a bad one or has taken the Michael Caine approach to choosing roles - anything at all so long as it pays the bills.

Whatever the reason, seeing Eddie Murphy on a billboard should serve as a warning that the film is more likely to be awful than not.

See also Adam Sandler, Rob Schneider, Kevin James etc.

1. Wize

Re: Poor old Eddie

Too many 'comedies' with the likes of Adam Sandler, Vince Vaughn etc. They always seem to play the same character.

Eddie on the other hand plays lots of characters. Generally in the same film...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.