back to article UK lags US in online content spending

Brits are often said to be behind the Americans when it comes to technology. That's not always the case, but it certainly is with digital content that punters part with their hard-earned for. US market research company Nielsen questioned tablet owners on both sides of the Atlantic about their content purchases. In almost all …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yea

Probably because every fucking time we try to view online content we are told it is only available in the US

2. Thom Brown
    Unhappy

UK doesn't have the services

US has Netflix... UK does't have a decent equivalent. In fact once you factor in how many services are available to folk in each country, it may end up being surprising the UK's numbers are as high as they are.

3. Pete 2 Silver badge

Lower disposable income - simples!

The average US disposable income (as PPP) is about $23k per person, in the UK it's about $17k [ source: wiki ]

Why would anyone expect british online spend to be as much as other, richer, peoples? Or even that "more is better" or that "lagging" is necessarily a bad thing (maybe profligacy is worse) ? Given the relative amounts of spendable dosh per head, it's amazing that brits spend as much as they do.

1. lurker

Re: Lower disposable income - simples!

This, plus the fact that we normally get charged more for the same content, often $1 = £1.

4. Ian Halstead
    Holmes

Now what's that phrase...

... oh yes, 'rip-off Britain'.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Now what's that phrase...

Perpetuated by the online retailers who charge MORE in the UK for the same products. A perfect example of ripoff merchant? Apple iTunes.

5. Captain Hogwash

Subscription model and lossy DRM'd files

I'd rent movies online when I was at a loose end if it was a one shot deal. But paying every month when I might not have time to watch anything? Forget it (LoveFilm & Netflix.) As for music, I want lossless files with no DRM. So the result of all this is that I watch movies when they reach TV or are free on sites like Youtube and I buy music on CD then rip to FLAC on a NAS for distribution around the house.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Big pie

Of course people in the US spend more - according to the chart, they have 272% of the pie. The British, on the other hand, only have 114% of the pie.

There are lies, damned lies and Excel charts.

1. Toxteth O'Gravy

Re: Big pie

I know for a fact that's not Ex-sell.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

...perhaps it's something to do with the fact that, umm, oh I don't know, things cost more over here?

We get paid less (on average) and items cost more. Plus utilities and fuel cost way more as well so even less available disposable income left over to buy stuff...

11c per KW/h electric in the US' compare to 23p per KW/h I pay where I am in the UK

And, everyone knows the cost we pay for fuel compared to the US'.

8. feanor
    FAIL

Also everyone knows the shocking state of our internet access. Who going to download a movie when it takes 8 hours, on a good day?.

If media outlets want us to buy more downloads they'll have to pursuade BT to give up their stranglehold on our barely post-war technology national infrastructure. Fat chance.

9. Vitani

Maybe we don't buy our content on tablets?

10. Metal Marv
    Meh

US are more of a throw away society

Personally I like my content to be more Tangible, so I will pick a CD or DVD over a download.

And I think the yanks are more carefree with their lifestyles.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

UK is size of smaller US states

hardly surprising!

Question to hack. WTF, stupid really!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like