back to article Groupon's 'Botox' voucher push breached ad rules – watchdog

Groupon breached UK advertising rules when it promoted a cosmetics treatment on its site, the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) has ruled. The watchdog said that an advert that featured on the popular consumer voucher operator's website for discounted "facial injection treatments" was in effect promoting Botox treatments. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge
Childcatcher

Isn't it high time...

The ASA were allowed some teeth? Repeat offenders should run the risk of ever increasing fines or a 'sin-bin' style ban on running any adverts for a length of time. At the very least they should be able to force offending organisations to commit to some sort of internal checking that their ads comply with standards BEFORE running them.

Facepalm

When I go to GroupOn 'Facial Injection Treatments' is the first advert I see, maybe they've tweaked it enough to get around the ASA ruling but it still shouts BOTOX to me.

Silver badge

They haven't.

You can't advertise a treatment. What you can advertise is a consultation with a qualified doctor, who will recommend what course of treatment, if any, is appropriate. You can't say in the advert what that treatment would be, because until they have been examined by the doctor, they don't know what would be appropriate.

Anonymous Coward

"You can't say in the advert what that treatment would be, because until they have been examined by the doctor, they don't know what would be appropriate."

Unlike America where advertising is allowed and doctors regularly get patients demanding either extremely overpriced, less effective or worst of all completely the wrong treatments because they have seen some dangerously deceptive advert.

Not to mention they spend millions pushing tranquillisers at kids.

Anonymous Coward

ASA = Self Regulation

ASA holes.

FAIL

Groupon. What's that again?

No need anyway - I do all my shopping through Kozmo.com.

Silver badge

One wonders if the bigger story ...

... is the percentage of shallow idiots actually clicking on Botox[tm] adverts.

I mean, seriously, botulism toxin as a cosmetic? Have we gone mad?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums