back to article Seafaring robots shatter unmanned crossing record

Four ocean-going robots from James Gosling’s employer Liquid Robotics have succeeded in securing a Guinness world record. The Wave Gliders have broken the record for an unmanned wave-powered vehicle by crossing 3,200 miles (5,150km) of Pacific water, breaking the previous record of 2,500 miles (4,023km). The Gliders achieved …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Happy

It's Tiny!

I was going to ask how this unmanned thing remained legal by keeping a proper lookout, or any lookout --- but it is tiny!

A spec sheet/leaflet can be downloaded here:

http://liquidr.com/technology/wave-glider-specifications/

Silver badge

What about wind power?

Did they consider putting a small and robust vertically oriented wind turbine on board for electricity generation?

Silver badge

Re: What about wind power?

Would require a big heavy keel and would probably lead to it being blown around and damaged in storms.

Re: What about wind power?

No need. It is propelled by its vertical motion with the waves (no motors at all) and the solar panels are plenty powerful enough for the electronics.

Joke

The beginnings of Aquanet?

Kinda like Skynet, but with water. :) Mine's the one with "I think we're going to need a bigger boat"

Terminator

I for one...

... wish to welcome our new cyberaquatic overlords, who will doubtless be evolving themselves to walk on land etc. real soon now.

Silver badge
Happy

May I suggest...

That after LOHAN is concluded the briny deep be next in some way or another?

I am sure Lego makes a Playmobil Aquanaut. :)

Silver badge

Just a suggestion...

...but maybe this technology could be used for Italian cruise ships.

Silver badge

Re: Just a suggestion...

Yeah, at least you'd know when the water is shallow.

Don't think so. They should just add some more reverse gears.

Thumb Up

At least it won't get distracted by blondes!

Anonymous Coward

I have an application for this

All it needs is a stealth mode (dives to 50ft when it detects a hostile in the proximity) and It should only announce its position when it is contacted by a verified source.

It also needs to be able to carry a 200kg load.

Funding will not be a problem :)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums