back to article Samsung staffer says 7.85in 'iPad Mini' in the works

Apple is indeed making a 7.85in 'iPad Mini' an executive from Samsung - of all companies - has claimed. The unnamed official was commenting on component supply contracts worth almost $10bn signed by Apple and Samsung, the Korea Times reports. The contracts cover Flash storage chips, computer memory, LTE 4G communications …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

What about the Galaxy Tab 7.7?

This story makes me angry as Samsung still have not made available the 7.7 despite the reviews being out in November

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What about the Galaxy Tab 7.7?

It's out. What are you talking about?

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/mobile-phones/SAMSUNG_GALAXY_7_7_TAB_16GB_3G

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Up

Re: What about the Galaxy Tab 7.7?

Aw crap, so it is. When I asked Samsung on 28 Feb they replied "it should be some time over the coming weeks and months". Didn't anticipate it would be sooner.

2. Paul Webb
    Paris Hilton

Interpretation of 'iPad mini' quote wrong

I read "... Apple is planning to release a smaller iPad" as suggesting this is definitely going to happen. The only uncertainty is the actual screen size, "probably with a 7.85in screen", not whether it will happen or not.

Paris, because size matters.

3. David Evans
    Facepalm

Ha!

“That’s not sufficient for great tablet apps, in our opinion."

“It would be meaningless unless they included sandpaper to sand down your fingers to quarter their size. We’ve been testing interfaces and understand this stuff. There are limits before users can reliably tab, pinch or flick on a screen. Ten inches is the minimal space you need to create great tablet apps"

Steve Jobs 18.10.2010

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ha!

He also said he didn't like the idea of flash memory based music players and then bought out the iPod Shuffle.

I read the original article and nowhere does it state the size of the screen except for 'the source'.

Perhaps they're big screens for the TV... (I doubt it)

If it's for a small iPad, surely they'd be retina displays

4. Shady
    Joke

I think...

Samsung should compete by introducing a Galaxy 8.3. Apple could then retaliate by producing an iPad 9.2 and then Samsung could counter with a 10.1. Brilliant! Oh......

5. blockster
    Alien

not Ipad.

I Think it wil be the new iPod,just to muddy the waters for the amazone kindle, that way the will not have to back track on their own comments on the iPad

6. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

The Guy is Still Alive?

I thought that revelation of, or even suggestion, of Apple secrets caused the instant activation of the cyanide capsule that all their suppliers have to have implanted in a tooth

7. steve2727

Why this form factor?

Have I missed something? I've never seen what the benefit of a 7-8 inch tab is. I love my Galaxy Note, but that's pushing the upper limits of what can be considered 'pocket friendly' (unless combat pants are making a comeback) so I'm not sure what the benefit of them is over a bigger tablet? Except perhaps being cheaper, but cheap has never been part of Apple's gameplan...

1. David Evans

Re: Why this form factor?

Better for reading (its the size of a paperback), better for video (16:9 format), big enough for basic productivity. I'm thinking of swapping my 7" Galaxy Tab for the equivalent Galaxy Note. I've been using a 7" tab for about 18 months now and I can honestly its the most used bit of personal tech I own (hence my amusement at Apple given Jobs' stated disdain for smaller tabs - I knew they'd do a smaller one eventually and said so at the time on these very forums).

2. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
      Boffin

Re: Why this form factor?

It's *way* more portable than a 9-10" device, slipping easily into an inner jacket pocket or a back jeans pocket, whilst still offering decent screen size for reading and playing games. For those of us who travel a lot, and spend far too much time in airports and train stations, this is ideal.

GJC

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like