Feeds

back to article Apple patches steaming heap of Safari bugs

Apple has released an update for its Safari browser that patches a record number of serious security vulnerabilities, promises JavaScript performance improvements, and eliminates the annoying "white flash" page-switching bug. The JavaScript performance increase isn't trivial: Apple promises an "up to" 11 per cent speed-up. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

cookie

"cookies that are set during regular browsing sessions are now available during Private Browsing sessions – meaning that any cookies you set when you were in the open will work when you're hiding, but you still won't set any when you're private"

Eh? Really? Surely not very private at that point.

Silver badge

Re: cookie

I agree — if that's what they've done then they've basically killed the privacy of private mode.

That said, the release note is "allow cookies set during regular browsing to be available after using Private Browsing", which could equally just mean that entering private browsing mode no longer throws away all your session cookies (assuming it did before?), it simply temporarily hides them. That is, assuming Apple meant "using Private Browsing" to signify an ongoing state of affairs rather than just hitting the switch for private browsing.

To be honest, I think Apple could have been clearer. El Reg's interpretation could equally be true.

Anonymous Coward

Neither is the number of security vulns fixed: 83

Wow, for a single app. And people bitch about MS!

Re: Neither is the number of security vulns fixed: 83

Though the article told me not to, I did bother "checking the web page" and the security bulletin details are now present:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5190

Very few fixes are specific to the Safari application. Everything else is in WebKit. The WebKit engine is shared by e.g. Chrome and most current smartphone platforms. There are many contributors involved in the WebKit fixes, including a few from Apple and some from the Google Chrome team. So, this is a case of both rolling in patches from and rolling out patches to the open source WebKit project.

http://www.webkit.org/

News? Yawn.

This topic is closed for new posts.