back to article Blighty's pay-by-bonk gang goes cap in hand to Euro watchdog

In the United States, the ISIS platform for NFC apps finally has a logo and is preparing itself for launch, while the UK equivalent – Project Oscar – is off to Europe for competition approval. ISIS logo Coming to a retailer near you – if you're American and live in Salt Lake City Both platforms hope to make the SIM the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

I don't see it going anyplace

People will be fighting over who gets to be king. Telcos, banks, cellphone companies (Apple and Google for sure).

Anonymous Coward

bonkers phrase

You seem to be determinedly sticking to these "pay by bonk" headlines , despite their obvious connotations in Blighty slang. I wonder, will celibate consumers be able to "pay by wank" instead?

Anonymous Coward

Re: bonkers phrase

Sperm donors already do, at least indirectly...

Silver badge

It hardly lacks a killer application - most of us buy 'little things' once or twice a day, and would be ecstatic if there were a widely accepted alternative to cash for small payments so we don't have to fanny around on exact fare buses or vending machines etc.

What is lacking is the killer implementation (mainly widespread recognition and acceptance of one standard) which will regrettably take time as the various interests squabble it out.

Chip & Pin?

Why bother? Why not just make chip & pin work properly? I mean, if you could C&P a payment in seconds, not several minutes as it is in most places, then all this wouldn't be necessary.

That said, putting the c&p device into my phone and letting me 'beam' the outcome of the authentication to someone else sounds like a good idea. Prepaying to make an account is a non-starter though, as is needing an 'app' for every goddam company in the world.

I'm unconvinced at the moment, so won't be an early adopter, and quite possibly will only do it when literally everyone is doing it and the guy down the corner shop doesn't like cash anymore. We'll see...

Black Helicopters

Mondex

Anyone remember Mondex? Innit exactly sure why that failed, or what's new this time around ...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums