How big is the big data business? That depends on how you dice and slice it. The box-counters at IDC have cooked up a very precise and formal definition of big data that will keep everything from being thrown into the big data pot. To some ways of thinking, big data is just the new ERP for a webby world, and to others it is just …
As long as there is no definition...
you can make up any market number you want. "Cloud" is a $46 trillion market, because they have redefined "cloud" to include virtualization and everything people were already doing. Now they will wrap OLAP and BI into "Big Data" and say... see, told you.
- 20 Freescale staff on vanished Malaysia Airlines flight MH370
- Neil Young touts MP3 player that's no Piece of Crap
- Review Distro diaspora: Four flavours of Ubuntu unpacked
- Fee fie Firefox: Mozilla's lawyers probe Dell over browser install charge
- Sysadmins and devs: Do these job descriptions make any sense?