How big is the big data business? That depends on how you dice and slice it. The box-counters at IDC have cooked up a very precise and formal definition of big data that will keep everything from being thrown into the big data pot. To some ways of thinking, big data is just the new ERP for a webby world, and to others it is just …
As long as there is no definition...
you can make up any market number you want. "Cloud" is a $46 trillion market, because they have redefined "cloud" to include virtualization and everything people were already doing. Now they will wrap OLAP and BI into "Big Data" and say... see, told you.
- Apple stuns world with rare SEVEN-way split: What does that mean?
- Special report Reg probe bombshell: How we HACKED mobile voicemail without a PIN
- RIP net neutrality? FCC boss mulls 'two-speed internet'
- Sony Xperia Z2: 4K vid, great audio, waterproof ... Oh, and you can make a phone call
- Pic Tooled-up Ryobi girl takes nine-inch grinder to Asus beach babe