How big is the big data business? That depends on how you dice and slice it. The box-counters at IDC have cooked up a very precise and formal definition of big data that will keep everything from being thrown into the big data pot. To some ways of thinking, big data is just the new ERP for a webby world, and to others it is just …
As long as there is no definition...
you can make up any market number you want. "Cloud" is a $46 trillion market, because they have redefined "cloud" to include virtualization and everything people were already doing. Now they will wrap OLAP and BI into "Big Data" and say... see, told you.
- Xmas Round-up Ghosts of Christmas Past: Ten tech treats from yesteryear
- Analysis Microsoft's licence riddles give Linux and pals a free ride to virtual domination
- Review Hey Linux newbie: If you've never had a taste, try perfect Petra ... mmm, smells like Mint 16
- Special Report How Britain could have invented the iPhone: And how the Quangocracy cocked it up
- I KNOW how to SAVE Microsoft. Give Windows 8 away for FREE – analyst