Feeds

back to article Take your pics: Facebook shuts down Gowalla

Facebook have shuttered the check-in location service Gowalla three months after acquiring it. The Gowalla site is displaying a notice thanking users for "going out" with the service – and offering users the option to download their photos and check-ins. The announcement at tech and media fest South By Southwest (SXSW) comes …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

They will sneak location into Facebook, just like the other things they do. It's not going away I'd bet.

Flame

Reminds me of closure by stealth

Used on railway stations that British Rail no longer wanted to support. The first thing they changed that started the slow death was changing the app to make it very difficult to find check-ins that were not well-known landmarks.

I used it a lot to track where I'd been (when you travel to unknown places and get taken everywhere in taxis it was handy for getting the local layout). I stopped using it after the change and I'm really annoyed at the FB take-over.

Silver badge
Headmaster

Has no-one told them

There's no compass direction 'south by southwest' - southwest by south, yes (cf Hitchcock).

Anonymous Coward

If anybody did, would they have listened?

Brought to you by the same sort of crowd that thinks '2k3' is short-hand for anything else than '2300' -- contrary to standing engineering practice of years and years. Or how the at-sign now is an excuse to throw comments at people (instead of talking /with/ them), or how TLDs get denigrated to 'extensions' (hello 8.3 mind, you've just turned the world upside down again), or.... People who think that doing vaguely science-y thingies at a computer makes them a computer scientist. People who've barely ascended from the person that calls the box next to their monitor a 'cpu', but think the whole thing is mighty interesting. You know who I mean. Wired readers. Retweeting rebloggers. People who singlehandedly unbox some gadget and 'videoblog' about it, which may or may not be what they're using their other hand for. People who track their own facebook via their own twitter feed. The sort of person that thinks up overly snappy names for conferences especially to bend the accompanying acronym into an 'interesting' pretzel. The military are similarly obsessive about their acronyms, altough this has an undeniably different flavour to it. But nevermind facts. The only reason people go to the party is to convince themselves they're oh-so interesting. Why spoil the party with reason?

600K or 15M users..

But, are they making money?

Das ist alles.

This topic is closed for new posts.