back to article Legendary artist Moebius dies

The world of sci-fi is in mourning after legendary French cult artist 'Moebius' died following a long battle with cancer. Jean "Moebius" Giraud, whose stunning fantasy artwork and drawings for comics influenced some of the biggest names in the business, succumbed to his ailments this weekend aged 73. As well as providing …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. AbortRetryFail
    Unhappy

:o(

The Fifth Element is one of my favourite films and owes a huge debt to Moebius who was heavily involved with it.

RIP, chap, and thank you.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Very Sad

Truly an inspirational artist that led me to take up a pencil in earnest quite some years ago. I loved his stuff in Heavy Metal, Fifth Element and the space suits in the first Alien movie amongst many others

I'm gonna watch it tonight and say thanks.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So drew for comics ... did he have a strip?

4. AndrewInIreland

RIP...

He died last Saturday, I've been re-reading The Incal since (and The Long Tomorrow and The Airtight Garage).

5. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

A propose a toast!

To one of the best comic artists in history. The Airtight Garage will be forever closed but Moebius visionary universe will always be there, open for us to explore.

Rest in Peace.

1. Haku
      Pint

Re: A propose a toast!

I'll join you in that toast, it is sad that the world has lost another influential artist but good to see he left some very big footprints on this world.

I only saw The TIme Masters (trailer) for the first time about 4 years ago, instantly loved it because it's along the same lines as Gandahar (full film) and Fantastic Planet (full film), weird trippy cartoon films far removed from the generic world of Disney you've just got to see at least once.

6. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Pint

L'Incal Noir - L'Incal Lumière

Ok, time to get those 1st editions of L'Incal out of the drawer. I remember how I hunted them down, one by one. One cannot imagine how hard that was before amazon.fr.

A re-read, and a few toasts.

I hear those albums have had a digital makeover with shading and all? While the original print quality is not the best for sure, these things make me WHY.

There were followups and then Jodorowsky went fuck crazy with Freudian Deep Horror and Nonstop Rape and Atrocities. These shall be best left out.

7. Neoc

Time to read his lesser-known comic...

...and pull out my "Michael Blueberry" set of books from storage.

This topic is closed for new posts.