Feeds

back to article Microsoft drops 'risky' Windows 8 preview on World

Microsoft has released to the World near-final code for Windows 8 - its riskiest bet yet. Officially called a Consumer Preview, but actually a beta, the next Windows 8 milestone will be the release candidate followed by release to manufacturing, Windows Division president Steven Sinofsky said Wednesday. Microsoft chose the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Bronze badge

No Iberian languages?

I mean who speaks German but not English?

</not-exactly-crucial-I-realise>

Anonymous Coward

Re: I mean who speaks German but not English?

Ummm, quite a few Germans, Austrians and Swiss?

Bronze badge

Re: Re: I mean who speaks German but not English?

<scouse>Exactly!<scouse>

Silver badge

Re: No Iberian languages?

Well you have to consider the Windows 8 target demographic. They aren't exactly aiming at people with good education, that's a market long lost to Linux.

Anonymous Coward

@Christian

Ok so: German and English speakers are all stupid, or is it that all Linux users are super intelligent?

Either way, it must be great to be able to congratulate yourself on your own intelligence, based on your choice of OS. That is an OS, which I'm constantly reading on The Register can be used with no special knowledge. In fact I'm constantly assured that people's grandparents are using, never having seen a computer before with no training whatsoever.

Trollface

Re: @Christian

" In fact I'm constantly assured that people's grandparents are using, never having seen a computer before with no training whatsoever."

They can stand on it to reach the sherry.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: No Iberian languages?

Well you have to consider the Windows 8 target demographic. They want people with actual money to spend, not bankrupt Southern Europeans.

There FTFY.

Bronze badge

Re: No Iberian languages?

They want people with actual money to spend, not bankrupt Southern Europeans.

What about countries outside southern Europe that speak those languages?

How's Brazil's economy doing?

Anonymous Coward

"How's Brazil's economy doing?"

I dunno, why don't you ask a favela inhabitant?

Silver badge

Ah, I see, you've managed to confuse "education" with "all-consuming smugness".

Easy mistake to make.

Joke

Well you have to consider the Windows 8 target demographic.

Metrosexuals

Silver badge

Downloading now. Looks interesting...as with others, I'm really not sure about removing the Start button, but at least they're trying. I'm actually kinda warming to Metro, but not on the desktop. The whiplash I get from moving to and from it is just too much.

Trollface

I'm really not sure about removing the Start button

I think it's a great start (if you'll pardon the pun), now all that needs to be done is to get rid of the rest of windows.....

Stop

Metro - no thanks.

I won't be putting Metro on anything. It's fucking ugly, it's too simplistic to be useful.

Go

Re: Metro - no thanks.

Completely, utterly, totally, whole-heartedly; 100% disagree.

Black Helicopters

And the constant context switching between Metro and the Desktop when launching multiple non-Metro apps (what most of us will be doing, at least at the outset) is distracting.

Thumb Down

Re: Re: Metro - no thanks.

For a mobile device, maybe, but not a workstation.

JDX
Gold badge

So fine - you can use W8 in desktop mode on your PC. Nobody forces you to use Metro.

Anonymous Coward

Wow. Computing for da future. Set up ur new computer to dual boot to both Windows 8 with Metro and Ubuntu 12.04 with Hud. Your computing experience will be enhanced

Thumb Down

Not that easily - it starts in Metro mode, and every time you click the new Start button from the desktop you get transported back to Metro land. And, at least so far as I've seen, there is no way to configure W8 for "classic" mode so that you get something resembling the W7 or previous start menu, etc. So you would have to find/build your own, or litter the desktop with shortcuts to launch apps. And lather/rinse/repeat for every program you want to run, new software installs, etc. Trying to maintain that is going to be a right royal pain. You say nobody forces you to use Metro, but MS is doing everything they can short of actually removing the desktop to do exactly that.

For that matter, nobody is forcing you to use W8. I just recently upgraded from XP Pro to W7. I think I'll wait until W9.

Let's all remember, the OS is not an application. It's a way to run applications.

Anonymous Coward

Go figure

......yet "Leapfrog/Fisher Price" iOS is lapped up. Talk about f cking UGLY! People have told me they wanted an iPhone because it's simplistic. Thats one of the reasons I believe iOS users need 'special' assistance. (They're a bit thick.)

Anonymous Coward

@Obviously

How incredibly self-righteous of you to assume that unless your O/S comes with a 1990's style flight-sim keyboard overly and requires 2 years of training it's utter shit!

I personally have no interest in the iOS gadgets, happy with what I have but here's a small smidgen of a clue about interface design. How about people want to use technology to ( well bugger me! ) GET STUFF DONE!

Your average techno-gadget punter, if you're still listening Mr Smug-Chops, just wants to buy a gadget and get stuff done. Well paint me blue and call me Susan! People want to buy things and get stuff done, not spend hours dicking about to make it sing and dance? Yep, that's right, they want to buy it and use it! Even if that gadget and it's interface falls a little short at the moment, if it's capable of getting 90% of the user's tasks done, it will do for the time being.

So when you design something that a million people will stamp over their own Granny to get hold of, then you can stand tall and proud in your ivory tower shitting on everyone else, until then STFU!

Re: Go figure

I simpler is always worse, then let's all use mainframes and machine code.

Stop

Re: Re: Go figure

simpler is always worse, then let's all use mainframes and machine code.

Simpler!!!!!! FFS you've never had to work with a badly written/Telon generated CICS program...

Silver badge

Re: @Obviously

"Well paint me blue and call me Susan!" -- You sir owe me a new Red Dwarf themed keyboard and a fresh cup of coffee. I also quite agree that some folk like to actually work on their computers and get stuff done.

Silver badge
Pint

The thing is, the whole experience is ANYTHING BUT simplistic.

Two internet explorers, two control panels, two ways of doing a handful of things.

The whole thing is a complete abomination, designed simply to try to sell you crap through the Microsoft Store so they can grab a cut.

A real shame, since there are a handful of technical advances buried under there somewhere. Buried under a mountain of baby-poop green and colourful squares.

Silver badge

ITYM - Not Android? Not by Sony? - no thanks. *hatehatehate*

I fixed that title for Barry because he forgot to declare an interest.

I'm interested at the difference in attitudes between the Reg and the Tech blogs.

The commentards here are pretty much 90% along the lines of "hate fail lol Vista Fisher-Price lol we're so superior etc".

The commentards on Engadget or the Verge - known Apple cultist haunts, interestingly, are 90% "wow, love it, downloading, this is amazing etc"

I think the difference is that people read the gadget blogs because they actively want new things. The commentards on the Reg, it appears, absolutely do not.

Sorry El Reg. Your readership are turning into the demographic that buys the Telegraph

Thumb Up

Re: @Obviously

Don't beat around the bush - tell him(her) what you really think

Anonymous Coward

Am I the only one who finds this entire "tile" interface fugly?

Looks like

It looks like something Fischer-Price would make. They make toys for very young children.

Stop

No of course not.

There's you and the fella who threw himself in front of a train at Didsbury this afternoon.

Enjoy tomorrow.

Anonymous Coward

@Fishman

That's what everybody said about XP, many of the same people are saying that about Win8/Metro despite never having seen anything except a screenshot of it.

Hate it - I have a 24" monitor not a 10" tablet!

Can the tile rubbish be disabled? Just give me the Windows 7 desktop and start menu, plus the hidden technology improvements of 8. That's all.

The server version better not have this stupid interface otherwise Microsoft have shot themselves in the nuts.

Thumb Down

Re: @Fishman

I've seen it and used it since the developer preview was released, and I still don't like it. At all.

JDX
Gold badge

Re: Hate it - I have a 24" monitor not a 10" tablet!

How about you read a single article about W8, and get back to us on that?

Linux

No, I think 99% of the world do as well.

It's Microsoft's very own Unity disaster...

Devil

"The server version better not have this stupid interface otherwise Microsoft have shot themselves in the nuts."

You're right, it probably won't. From what I've heard, you'll be saying goodbye to a GUI!

Well, I have both. I'm downloading the preview as I write, and will be throwing that onto a VM (displayed on the big monitor), but I would also be interested in trying W8 on my 10" tablet (currently running Froyo) - only I don't see an ARM download.

Silver badge
FAIL

@ anon 19:19

I've used it

It's fugly

It's not for desktop usage

But marketing will love it.

Linux

Actually the server version has no interface, to my knowledge it's going CLI :)

Anonymous Coward

@Busted

I wonder how Barry Shitpeas will object to the server being CLI only?

You know he will find a way.

@ Steve Foster

ARM devices usually require some device-specific code or variables outside the purview of the OS in order boot, as they don't have anything like a bios that's needed to discover the hardware config. And that's not to mention the various processor family differences etc

It's pretty likely (IMHO) that Windows for ARM will only ever be available pre-configured on devices.

Silver badge

Re: @Fishman

That's actually nonsense. I'd hope on a reputable meeting place such as El Reg, that those commenting have tried the Dev Preview and Consumer Preview. I certainly have. It's not good, it is a complete mess, by any standard.

The reason why people said XP looked stupid is because they had a bright blue theme with a green start button. If you were sensible, you chose the silver theme and had a decent enough looking desktop.

If you loved the old stuff, you chose classic, job done, couple of clicks. Nothing was radically different to 2000 to the point of being unusable, by any means.

The dubious changes in Windows 8 are far more than "click here to change classic theme if you hate new themes, job done".

Bronze badge

Re: Re: @Fishman

XP looked good with the Royale theme, which gave the title/taskbars a metallic style sheen.

Metro is like win3.x program manager, and the "hot corners" will be a shambles on a multiple monitor setup.

Silver badge
Trollface

So... slim to none?

“We paid just as much attention to using Windows 8 with a mouse and keyboard as with touch”

Re: So... slim to none?

t seems strange that their internal reviews didn't catch that before they made the last public release.

Stop

Re: So... slim to none?

Ah I see Steve, so when he said:

“We paid just as much attention to using Windows 8 with a mouse and keyboard as with touch”

He was LYING. That's right - HE IS A LIAR.

Fool.

Silver badge

@Phoenix50: Re: Re: So... slim to none?

Frankly, dear boy, yes.

That's what I've learnt as a dev and user in the past 20 years of dealing with MS & their products. What they say is, as far as possible, indifferent to the actuality yet still remain legal.

So, yes.

Stop

Re: @Phoenix50: Re: Re: So... slim to none?

Bzzzt. Disagree.

So I guess it's a tie, dear boy.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.