back to article Court wonk tweets Apple's IPAD appeal showdown with Proview

In an unprecedented display of openness, a Guangdong court will embrace the social networking craze by allowing one of its officials to "live blog" today's appeal hearing during which Apple hopes to secure the right to use the iPad trademark in China. Liu Lingnan began posting regular updates on homegrown firm Tencent’s Twitter- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

iPad 3 event - who's in the guest list?

Come on guys, I'm fascinated to know who else will not be invited!

Thumb Up

And the crux of the matter: "Proview hopes to use the IPAD trademark to extract cash from Apple" - the most honest assessment of the court case yet :)

Silver badge

Extracting cash for damages caused is par for the course, yet that is the only assessment you'll see in most media outlets.

The most honest assessment I've heard was that Apple said they would not use the trademark in competition with Proview. They have history with this sort of thing.

Anonymous Coward

Deserved

What goes round, comes round.........

After all, thats exactley what Apple is doing to its competitors and its customers! It's all about the dollar to them.

@ John Riddoch

Like Apple never sued anybody ever

Go

the middle way

since this is China and this is such a high profile case now, I have a feeling that the court will find a middle way. Like a better financial settlement for Proview, in exchange for the trademark.

It's just not in China's interest right now to piss off the 'infidels', too much in China depends on Western consumers.

They do think much longer term than we do and whoever is pulling the real strings will want an amicable result that doesn't rock their boat too much.

This post has been deleted by its author

Devil

For 2 months I've been saying there will be a settlement"

I had no idea the Higher People's Court was going to force one on the parties.

"Lawyers for both companies presented arguments for almost six hours at the Higher People's Court of Guangdong in Guangzhou yesterday before being asked by the three-judge panel if they wished to settle. Attorneys for Apple and Proview said they would consult their clients and the hearing was adjourned without a new court date or a timeframe for a ruling."

"March 1 (Bloomberg) -- Apple Inc. urged a court in southern China to deliver a "fair and just" ruling in its dispute with the local unit of Proview International Holdings Ltd. over ownership of the iPad trademark in the country.

Apple appealed a November ruling by a lower court that its 2009 contract to buy rights to the iPad name in China was invalid because Proview's Shenzhen unit that owned them wasn't a party to the agreement. A loss in court would subject Apple to lawsuits seeking damages and enable a nationwide ban on iPad sales in the company's biggest market outside the U.S. That would be "unfair" given Apple's pioneering role in the tablet market that now gives the mark its worth, Apple's attorney said.

Unhappy

The Proview view.

Apple fraud? You be the judge.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/02/this-is-how-apple-swindled-the-ipad-trademark/

From the land of fake copies ..

Why not restrict all the fake iPads , iPhones, iPods , ... Apple should sue the Chinese Government ( if you want to call it that)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums