back to article Crap mobile networks shamed by Carrier IQ API

Caught-out cellphone snoopster Carrier IQ has decided to come clean, hoping that punters will be prepared to have their phones' behaviour logged if they get to see the data too. On Monday the company launched an API which allows network operators to create self-service portals showing customers how many times they've dropped …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steve Knox
    Thumb Down

Says it all.

"It's hard to imagine network operators choosing to share data to that depth..."

yet they were perfectly content to collect others' data to that depth, without even informing them.

2. Sly
    Big Brother

typical big business

we want all the info... users be damned.

though, I wouldn't mind having a peek at that info now. cell site loading would be the main one I'd be interested in seeing.

1. P. Lee
      Angel

Re: typical big business

Why would business care about users? The only important people are those who sign the cheques.

And that isn't the users. He who pays the the piper calls the tunes.

ElReg excluded of course! ;)

1. jonathanb Silver badge

Re: Re: typical big business

As a user, I do sign the cheques, or at least the direct debit mandate. Where else might they get the money from?

1. P. Lee

Re: Re: Re: typical big business

You pay NetworkIQ's service?

1. jonathanb Silver badge

Re: Re: Re: Re: typical big business

No, because O2 don't use them. But if O2 did use them, the money they get to pay them comes from me.

3. Kurgan
    Thumb Up

If the operators were willing to share all of the informations gathered with the users, then I'd consider installing such a spyware on my phone, because it would be useful to me, too.

If they don't, or they just share half of what they gather, then it's a big "NO, THANKS" for me.

4. Spotswood
    Thumb Up

I dont know about you guys...

But I would love to have that kind of information accessible to me as a user... I'm constantly wanting to know why I cant seem to get any data, why some areas are good and others, of bad, same goes for different times of the day. Give me some god damn visibility (read: ammunition) *please*..

5. UMTS =(

There are apps available

If you want to see reports from your phone try Tracesaver .. Simple google will get you there

6. Serpendipity
    WTF?

what of the nifty key logger data?

They are/were able to bypass (https) encryption by directly logging keystrokes. Whom am I sharing those data with? Given that the corporation is about as trustworthy as one's local spy organization/s , exactly what am I supposed to believe?

7. Mark Dowling
    Thumb Up

As a admin I'd like to see the data

I often get complaints from users about dropped calls but have no direct access to info about when/where they happen and so on. If we had access to diagnostic data it would give us a stick to beat our carriers with - which is why we'll never get that swishy portal idea :)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like