back to article Mozilla's app Marketplace tempts HTML5 worshippers

Mozilla takes the open web to Microsoft, Google, Apple and others next week with an invitation to developers to start coding for its technology-agnostic apps store. The Mozilla Foundation said it's using the spotlight of the mega Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Spain, to open its planned Mozilla Marketplace to developer …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. nichobe

But, Would you...

have to be online all the time to use the apps?

1. Gordon 10

Re: But, Would you...

Why would you?

The kindle cloud reader is a html5 app that has an offline mode.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Good idea, for certain kinds of apps.. but?

This is something many people aside from Mozilla have considered - it's been a topic of discussion for a long time and I'm sure there's plenty of people working on HTML5 browser apps that translate perfectly to "in phone" apps.

Right now, it's going to be the kinds of apps that already run in browsers - or rather, the kinds of apps that will only run in HTML5 'aware' browsers.

I'm not convinced this will amount to anything much though - the app market is doing just fine without puritanical 'cross platform' hug buddies spoiling the party.

^ oops, that may or may have not been a joke ... I'll get my coat.

3. Gordon Fecyk
    Stop

Where have I read, "write once, run/deploy anywhere," before? *ahem*Java*

Another altrustic goal soon to be superseded by market reality, developer impatience, customer frustration and vendor greed.

I hope the Mozilla Foundation learned from Java's legacy. It wasn't that long ago, people. Or is 1996 too far back to remember?

4. dssf

This might interest some...

"Mozilla Putting all the Pieces Together to be a Smartphone Contender"

http://www.readwriteweb.com/mobile/2012/02/mozilla-putting-all-the-pieces.php

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like