Feeds

back to article Hitachi GST waggles nippy 2.5-incher at Ultrabooks

Remember Hitachi GST's 500GB single-platter Travelstar? Well, now it spins faster and jets out data quicker, possibly having been accelerated for the Ultrabook market. In December 2010 the Z5K500 2.5-incher rotated at 5,400 RPM and had a measly 4MB cache and 3Gbit/s SATA interface. Behold the Z7K500 marvel: 7,200 RPM, 32MB cache …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

But does 7200 rpm eat twice the power of 5400 rpm or have they done clever stuff?

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Single platter

Well, it's a single platter so the aerodynamic drag will be considerably less than with two platters. Likewise half the number of heads to move around needs less energy. So the wattage for 7200rpm may be the same as a two-platter 5400rpm one.

I'm thinking this disk may also have considerable utility in desktop systems as well, if the seek time is the same or less than a 3.5" 500Gb drive and the price similar. Greener, and possibly better performance. (And for DIYers, mirrored disks in a single 3.5" slot, or as a PCI card with two laptop drives attached to it).

Silver badge

Re: Single platter

This is a genuine question:- can there be such a thing as aerodynamic drag in a vacuum?

I agree with your point though, but I would suggest that inertia and bearing friction are the governing factors.

Re: Re: Single platter

do you think HDD are vacuum sealed?...er no they arent.

Anonymous Coward

funny.

hahahahahaha

Waggly and 2.5 inches. Makes me think of willy. So funny Reg.

This topic is closed for new posts.