back to article Grooveshark blocked in Denmark by copyright warriors

A Danish copyright group has won a court order to block music streaming site Grooveshark from the nation's pastry-munching pirates. In a report of questionable accuracy* (the plaintiff RettighedsAlliancen is incorrectly described as a "local IFPI") at tech site Comon Hutch-owned mobile operator 3 must implement the block …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

DNS level? Really?

I genuinely didn't realise thats how piss poor a block they put in place was. No wonder I still get to stuff that's supposed to be barred, as I use a 3rd party DNS server. i just thought it wasn't in place.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well

A court order was issued for one ISP to block TPB and every other ISP just did it too, since otherwise they'd just have a date in court as well.

It's easily circumvented of course, and really couldn't have done much of anything, except create a president for blocking such places of the web.

As of right now, Grooveshark is still reachable through my laptop, but since I don't use 3 it might be a matter of time, or it might just be limited to the specific people using 3.

Will be interesting to see.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

DNS blocking

If it's just simple dns blocking by the ISPs then changing dns settings to something like googles public dns is a super simple bypass is it not? Or are ISPs required to block at a URL level via dpi inspection?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Censorship

But of course our government doesn't censor our Internet usage...

1. PyLETS
      Pirate

Re: Censorship

Until enough people complain, (as recently occurred with SOPA/PIPA), of course governments will implement the laws big media tell them to do, regardless of your rights:

a. Freedom of expression. Saying where a copy can be found or how to open a trivial media lock for something you've bought when you've lost your key can get you locked up: DMCA, SOPA, PIPA.

b. Privacy. Case law prevents your snail mail being intruded upon in the way your internet privacy can be on the same grounds - HADOPI, DEA etc.

That's because politicians won't get big media help in getting messages across unless they pass the repressive laws big media requires.

And when enough people complain to stop these laws getting through as recently occurred, Andrew warns us to watch out for the Nazis under our beds: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/02/20/freetards_vote_for_us/ and tells us that we only complain because we're all kinky masochists who want even more punishment: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/02/10/pseudo_masochism_explained/ .

5. unreggi

As it should be...

"Private litigation to block rogue websites is succeeding where SOPA failed."

This is how copyright should be protected. It's the copyright holder's responsibility to protect their holdings using their own resources.

"In Ireland, music rights group IRMA has filed a high court action to compel the government to block sites..."

This is the wrong way. Copyright holders can't expect the taxpayers to foot the bill to monitor and corral the horses that they let out of the barn.

This topic is closed for new posts.