back to article Planet-wide cloud dream burst by nations' laws - BSA

A US software industry report has warned that certain countries are threatening the future of cloud computing with regulations and policies that stifle the fluffy atmosphere. The Business Software Alliance published a Global Cloud Computing Scorecard, which noted that countries including India, China and Brazil would need " …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Gold badge

Perhaps the problem here is that the BSA is trying to force a one-size-fits-all design onto a planet that prefers diversity and local independence. What they call "efficient", I call "sterile".

FAIL

one size fits THEM

@Ken - the BSa don't want a one-size-fits-all design so much as a one-size-fits content publishing conglomerates who like to "monetise" personal data without inconvenient privacy rules to get in the way.

Possibly it won't fit the rest of us so well.

We don't have...

... 'planet wide' anything, or at least, nothing I can think of. We don't have:

Planet wide driving regulations

Planet wide side of the road to drive on

Planet wide definitions of art, beauty, p*rn*graphy, courtesy, good taste

Planet-wide definitions of copyright, copyleft or patents, government access to 'cloud data, privacy...

I could go on. I won't.

I know, they don't want total compatability. Only the ability for everything to fit together and work. Planet wide. Right. Of course. Now take this nice blue pill, please? And don't worry about the hammering. We're just adding more rubber to your walls...

Anonymous Coward

USA is the problem

No US company should be allowed to offer cloud services in the EU due to their governments violatiop of privacy laws.

I think recent events (think SOPA) have proved that the US are more than capable of ruining the cloud (and the internet in general) for everyone.

People should look a little closer to home before criticizing others.

K
Bronze badge
Gimp

I'm not the biggest fan of the US and hated SOPA

But your talking crap!

It only took a few politicians to propose and push SOPA, but NEARLY every american Internet company (with the exception of a few.. GoDaddy to name 1) and anybody with any mediocre knowledge of the Internet opposed this very vocally. Net (no pun intended!) result was the bill was dropped.That my friend is democracy, and its the only reason the Internet is so "liberal" and your able to post rubbish like this..

Are you suggesting people should not have a right to discuss ideas that you don't approve of? or propose radical alternatives? No matter how stupid or crazy an idea, people still have the right to suggest and discuss it...

At some point a "golden egg" idea will come out that benefits everybody.. such as "I've got this crazy idea, lets build a global network..", other times ideas will just be useless or detrimental, but still they should be looked at given any due merit!

Re: I'm not the biggest fan of the US and hated SOPA

----

Are you suggesting people should not have a right to discuss ideas that you don't approve of? or propose radical alternatives?

----

Are you suggesting that they should? Unfettered?

Personally I tend to agree with you but I'm fully aware that the World is not a monoculture, nor would I want it to be. If some countries want to impose restrictions on what their populace can say or do, or at what age they can do it, that's up to them.

No company, group of companies, or even foreign government has the right to interfere unless they're prepared to go to war to impose those principles.

This "league chart" sounds a bit like big businesses whining because the rest of the world won't necessarily play by their rules - not that I can see China giving a damn mind and why should they?

Silver badge
FAIL

I read as far as

I read as far as "Business Software Alliance" and stopped right there.

A more biased, self-interested load of pompous ar*eoles would be difficult to find.

Bronze badge
Mushroom

Re: I read as far as

I read that as `Bullshit Society of America`, 'cuz they are so 'full of it'.

Icon is so appropriate for them.

Anonymous Coward

Intellectual property protection

`countries including India, China and Brazil would need "significant legal and regulatory reforms" before they could join a global cloud'

Let me guess, this is code for; the BSA would like these countries to adopt the US patent regime in full and start paying intellectual property revenue back to the US. It's not the first time the BSA has stuck its nose into other countries internal affairs.

http://alturl.com/swgii

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/intellectual-property/2011/03/01/bsa-open-standards-will-increase-e-government-costs-40091981/

"Japan came out top of the league because of its privacy protections didn't get in the way of doing business, it has good criminal and intellectual property protection"

Ahh, so

Joke

Quick

Quick, someone get me the number of a relator in Brazil. Sounds like a great place to be.

Anonymous Coward

How bout we make a deal

You stop charging different prices in different countries and then we'll talk.

Amazing how BSA are pushing to allow them to "provide" a service from the lowest cost location, but still insist on pricing based on where that service is delivered to. That would seem to coincide with them getting maximum profit. Oh what a happy coincidence.

Silver badge

Indeed, the only thing BSA is really saying is that the law is getting in the way of its profits.

Oh ! What a pesky thing, law. Big companies really should be above it, eh BSA ?

One could argue

that the online poker sites were an early example of transnational collaboration clouds thwarted by the onerous and self-interested regulation of petty national interests.

I don't remember which country it was that ruined that party though.

I'm sure the Business Software Alliance are on firm ground here.

I take it the BSA is US based - and so naturally what they want is for everyone else to lie down and have their tummy tickled (pocket rifled?) the American way. Other countries may not see things the same way as the US - and why should they.

As Disraeli replied when Queen Victoria asked him who Great Britain's friends were - "we have no friends, ma'am, only interests". Same goes here, I guess

Facepalm

Err, doesn't that report paraphrase as ...

Bwaaah, bwaaaar, mummy, mummy, those bad foreigners won't let us walk all over them and impose our closed software as standards.

Bwaah, bwaaah, mummy, mummy, those bad foreign governments won't let us mine users data without their consent and make a dishonest profit from it.

Someone give the spoilt brat a spanking and put it to bed early.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums