back to article Finally a use for PlayBook: Tab bodged into Windows, PS3 remote

The updated OS pushed out to PlayBooks yesterday can turn a BlackBerry handset into a remote control for Windows 7, or even Android, thanks to the wonders of Bluetooth. The feature was spotted by the chaps over at the RIM-obsessed CrackBerry blog, who wasted no time demonstrating how a BlackBerry handset, prompted by linking …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jamie Kitson

Spelling

> But it's still the only mobile platform that can underline one's spelling mistakes in red

ICS does that for me.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Spelling

I suspect it's a typo because the iPhone does it too

2. Gerard Krupa
      FAIL

ICS insists on detecting every contraction I write as a spelling error by ignoring everything after the apostrophe - a problem it shares with Chrome.

3. n4blue
      FAIL

Windows Phone does it too

2. PaulR79
    FAIL

Use for a PlayBook as a remote?

That has to be one of the most stupid uses for a tablet. Controlling a PS3 from it to do what? Anything you can do will be infinitely easier with a normal controller and why would you use a tablet to control another tablet or, more insanely, an Android phone? That ignores the fact that the article says a use for the PlayBook and then goes into great depth while only mentioning using a phone. If the tablet works just the same then why wasn't that described instead of the phone? I'm confused now and wondering if both work or if the article title was wrong. Not that it matters as I wouldn't be willingly seen to own a Blackberry.

1. Danny 14

Re: Use for a PlayBook as a remote?

There are programmable remotes that are more expensive than some cheap tablets. So a decent remote control app could make such things redundant. PS3s are also used as media stations too.

3. a33a
    FAIL

@PaulR79 The article title is wrong, misleading and a childish attempt to put the Playbook down.

The functionality is provided by the Blackberry Bridge app on the phone not the tablet.

A Note to El Reg and all Playbook naysayers:

I'm sure many people will back me up (those that have ACTUALLY USED it) that the Playbook is a wonderful device to use for what it can do (and following OS2.0, alot). The web browser is simply fantastic; the responsiveness of the OS- amazing and the styling - awesome.

Send me your downvotes; I'm ready.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Having bought one on a whim at £169, I can glady say that it's a pretty neat device. The browser as you say is fantastic and there are other nice features such as screen bezel gestures (like stroke from one edge to the other wakes the device from standby), battery life is good and you can easily mirror the device to a TV with a standard HDMI cable to watch youtube or bbc iplayer, which I did the other night to watch Top Gear, worked flawlessly.

// my other tablet is a transformer prime

2. asdf
      FAIL

not quite

Nah probably just a hapless shareholder unwilling to admit he made a mistake buying RIM stock.

>Since June 2008 to June 2011, RIM's shareholders lost almost $70 billion or 82 percent as the biggest decline among communications-equipment providers, from $83 billion at 3 years before to current $13.6 billion

Ouch.

3. Ulaavi
      FAIL

The article title is wrong, misleading

Totally agree.

The referenced article's title is "Use your BlackBerry Smartphone with BlackBerry Remote to control your PS3, Android tablet and more! "

Can't be clearer than that.

Love the Playbook, btw.

As a media consumption device for music, video, browsing, etc.,. it is ideal.

4. Retro_Arsenic
      Gimp

Just bought the playbook last week and I'm pretty impressed. Goof fun so far, and 7 inch is a great format for me. As for the lack of apps, I found myself not needing to install as many than on the ipad simply because the playbook's browser can actually display the websites correctly. I don't have a blackberry phone, so the email upgrade was a big deal.

1. Bronek Kozicki
        Pint

Just bought one too, at this price it's impossible to resist. Very impressed with the browser and as for the whole device I find nothing to complain about! Hoping to do some C++ hacking for it, I think few if any other tablet can offer me proper C API.

1. Bronek Kozicki

Btw I'm not "app junkie" and I don't give a damn about small choice of apps. My old MP3 player did not have (almost) any and it's the same price category AND smaller memory!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"I'm sure many people will back me up (those that have ACTUALLY USED it) that the Playbook is a wonderful device..."

Clearly you work for their marketing department or a distie who has a corner of a warehouse full of these. They must be selling these at a loss now if the Amazon Fire is being sold at a small loss / break even.

1. asdf
      FAIL

im sure

My touchpad is a great device as well but if not for the Android option it would soon become an expensive paper weight. Its about the apps and their really are only two options.

1. asdf
        FAIL

Re: im sure

And yes I know the Playbook has some Android app support but sometimes wonky is worse than no support.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pointless

The most pointless idea since "How to speak French" was translated into French.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There've been a few remote control apps for the PlayBook since day one; not sure how this is a big addition. And VNCs of various quality, which are pretty neat.

Honestly, the bezel swiping is one of the massive plusses for the PB; I have a hard time imagining using anything without them. I tried using an iPad and some anonymous Android device, and it felt like I had my hands tied behind my back.

7. JeffyPooh
    Pint

OS2 "...adding a native e-mail client..."

Thank you for stating that exactly correctly. Well done.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: OS2 "...adding a native e-mail client..."

Implemented using activesync, not bb's own relay

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is this going to be the final nail in the RIM coffin...?

9. the-it-slayer
    Paris Hilton

@a33a

Of course your personal opinion could be wonderful and gloating the device to best thing since sliced bread. Good for you. Shame millions won't join you to snap them up like the iPad crowd if it was any good.

I won't down vote you because I don't have any personal experience of this device and you're entitled to your opinion. But I personally think this device has as much use in the tablet market as the air circulating in Paris' head. And that's good air to boot! xD

This topic is closed for new posts.